BCD annual inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very interesting. Just how long should a dive shop hold your gear for it to be serviced? My dive shop has now had my BCD and Regs. for over a month. The last dive shop I took them to had them for a couple of months. Is normal? Is it the time of year? I live in the mid west so there isn't a lot of diving in the winter but that's also when I like to do further training. Does everyone in this area have there gear serviced at the same time?

Thanks
jafo123

Jafo123:
This is very interesting. Just how long should a dive shop hold your gear for it to be serviced? My dive shop has now had my BCD and Regs. for over a month. The last dive shop I took them to had them for a couple of months. Is normal? Is it the time of year? I live in the mid west so there isn't a lot of diving in the winter but that's also when I like to do further training. Does everyone in this area have there gear serviced at the same time?

Thanks
jafo123

Another reason for doing as much as possible at home.

But seriously I've never, ever waited for more than a few days even for complete reg servicing.

Have you got obsolete gear for which parts are hard to get? This doesn't sound normal.
What was their excuse?

I have to back Mike up on this one, also.

I'm sure the time to service equipment is predicated upon the LDS/diver ratio in a specific geographic area, but like Mike, I've never had to wait more than 3 or 4 days.

It would be wise to ask the turn around time before leaving the equipment with the LDS.

My BCD isn't even a year old yet(Zegal Ranger) And my Regs are about three years old(Mares) I just don't understand. They never give me a reson just that they haven't forgotten me

Well, just walk in and tell them that you want your gear returned because you feel that they've had ample time to inspect it. Tell them that you're taking it to an LDS that can give you more prompt service.

You could go through a couple of fire fights before you'd need a Zeagle serviced. Sounds as if your regs are overdue.

Guarantee you that'll make 'em pee or get off the pot.

Jafo123:

Thanks
jafo123

A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!! Two weeks if the shop is busy (really busy) I would buy but not a couple of months. My LDS inspected and serviced my tank, BC, and Regs in about five days and they appoligized that it took that long. Their normal turnaround is 24-48 hours. I am willing to bet that you could send it directly to the manufacturer and get it back in less than a couple of months. though it sounds like its time to get a new dive shop.

Thanks for the advice everyone! That's why I love this board. And Knight1989, I still trust the LDS shop, they have been very good to me and all of them dive very regularly. I'll be thinking this over and make a decision after my boat trip to Catalina next weekend. See you in the water! :D

It boils down to protecting your investment. If you don't have it serviced, and something does occur, the vendor can refuse to fix/replace your product.

I service BC's all the time. It really is an inspection but I also take things apart and clean them if need be. Just because it has been rinsed doesn't mean you got all of the silt and salt out of everything. I inspect inflators, exhaust valves, gaskets, the bladder, the tank band, weight pouches and all the buckles. If you don't want to pay to have it done, fine. We charge $15.00. Not much really to maintain the warranty. Let say you did have a small crack in a buckle. Wouldn't you want find it during the warranty period?

As far as a shop having your gear for weeks. That's just wrong. If I have a reg for more than a week something is wrong. I can usually turn the around in 5 days without a problem unless I need to order a part that I don't stock. That would be rare though.

Scottri:
I service BC's all the time. It really is an inspection but I also take things apart and clean them if need be. Just because it has been rinsed doesn't mean you got all of the silt and salt out of everything. I inspect inflators, exhaust valves, gaskets, the bladder, the tank band, weight pouches and all the buckles. If you don't want to pay to have it done, fine. We charge $15.00. Not much really to maintain the warranty. Let say you did have a small crack in a buckle. Wouldn't you want find it during the warranty period?

As far as a shop having your gear for weeks. That's just wrong. If I have a reg for more than a week something is wrong. I can usually turn the around in 5 days without a problem unless I need to order a part that I don't stock. That would be rare though.

Sounds good to me, if I was anywhere near MI you'd have another BC to inspect. :wink: I think I'll take it to one of the other LDS in my area this time. I really appreciate the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom