BCD as Checked baggage or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayman diver:

I wear mine on the plane with mask fins etc. As if a plane does go down and floats nicely on the surface as it always shows in that lovely safety leaflet I can get an extra dive in.

I think you're forgetting something...a TANK.

I try and carry on my regulator, computer, and mask.
Sometimes if I am feeling risky, I will check in my BCD.
My concern is theft rather than equipment damage.

United says Scuba2 fins
1 mask
1 knife
1 snorkel
1 regulator
1 safety vest
1 spear gun
1 pressure gauge
1 tank harness
1 empty tank - maximum pressure 40 psi

Charges apply only if tanks are included, otherwise, one bag part of free allowance
Within U.S. 50 states and Canada
$85.00 USD

International travel to Central America, South America, Mexico and Caribbean
$25.00USD

50 pounds
62 linear inches

American Says
Scuba Gear (with tanks)1 scuba tank, scuba regulator, tank harness, and tank pressure gauge.$8070 lbsRegulator valve must be completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.Scuba Gear (without tanks)Scuba regulator, tank harness, and tank pressure gauge.Free in place of one 62 inch bag50 lbs
62 inches

Dave

It's hard to see how even baggage handlers could damage a plate and a piece of webbing. I think I'll be carrying on my regulators, mask, and computer though(trip to someplace in the Caribbean with LDS coming in April).

PhxDiver:
Hello,
I am new to diving. I recently purchased a BCD and plan to go diving in Maui soon. My instructor told us that you should not check your BCD at the airport. She said that the baggage area is not pressurized and that it could damage your BCD. She said to carry on your BCD. Is this correct, and if so, is there anything you can do to make your BCD OK as a checked item?

thanks,
john

I always carry mine on as does my daughter and starting this summer my wife (starting OW class in January). If the airline loses my checked baggage at least I know I have my diving life-support equipment with me.

My carry-on contains the following:

BC
Regulator
Dive Computer
Mask & snorkel (prescription mask)
"C" cards
Travel documents (passport, tickets etc.)
Prescription medications (if any)
Second carry-on has dive camera and housing

The carry-on is a rolling carry-on that meets the airline requirements for a carry-on bag.

herman:
I would suggest you not tell the airline counter personal you have "dive gear" in your luggage, they may want to charge you a special charge for it.

I would also avoid any sort of dive gear "BRANDED" luggage.

Might as well get big stickers that say "EXPENSIVE STUFF INSIDE - STEAL ME!"

Back
Top Bottom