BCD for Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mafiaman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone experimented with a BCD for a camera/housing/lights/battery ?
All of this stuff can get heavy, and if you make it neutral at 30fsw then it gets heavy again at 100fsw.

So have you tried a BCD for your camera set up??

I haven't tried it yet, but I have thought about something similar. Apollo sells a small "bc" for their scooter, it's basically a wraparound bladder with a small capped tube that you blow air into. It seems to me like one of those hiking Camelbak's could be adapted for use that way. Maybe using some sort of inline valve - like those plastic ones they sell for aquariums or similar. I've read about people diving with a Camelbak to have liquids with them so it might also hold air at depth.

The problem with something like that is that it introduces dynamic instability - as you adjust your depth, it is another airspace that you would have to manage. You could, however, potentially design one to be used fully inflated with an over-pressurization valve. As you descent, inflate it to it's max volume and at least as you ascend, it's buoyancy won't change.

Have you considered using closed cell foam ? This stuff differs from open cell foam (like you see kids use as float tubes) in that it maintains it's buoyancy at depth.

I made a buoyancy collar for my rig because the super wide angle lens made it very negative.

I also made individual 1"x6" blocks to make the housing totally neutral with the standard lens.

Here is a pic. The rubber bands were used to secure the blocks when using a standard lens.

Buoyancy collar

Mafiaman:
Has anyone experimented with a BCD for a camera/housing/lights/battery ?
All of this stuff can get heavy, and if you make it neutral at 30fsw then it gets heavy again at 100fsw.

So have you tried a BCD for your camera set up??

Because the wide angle port on my housing makes it very 'front-heavy', I had someone cut down and re-sew a safety sausage to use as a bouyancy ring that I can place around the port. The key advantage I've found is that it's adjustable, since you can add/remove air at any time.

HiDefPics:
Because the wide angle port on my housing makes it very 'front-heavy', I had someone cut down and re-sew a safety sausage to use as a bouyancy ring that I can place around the port. The key advantage I've found is that it's adjustable, since you can add/remove air at any time.

That's interesting. I know some people use sealed PVC tubes.

The most McKyver setup I've seen was a guy who used poland spring water bottles.

Mafiaman:
Since the housing, hopefully, doesn't change size with depth, and hopefully, it stays filled with the same amount of air and no water, it DOES NOT CHANGE BUOYANCY WITH DEPTH.

If your housing is postively buoyant, simply strap on some lead.

If you housing is negatively buoyant, use a rigid buoyancy device, such as a air filled pipe with caps on both ends like Ronrosa mentioned above. That won't change buoyancy with depth, and since your camera doesn't change buoyancy either, your system will be neutral at all depths.

I like the concept of using a rigid device, but I use the safety sausage because I need the lift added in a specific place, i.e. around the dome port. Adding lift to the housing itself could make it neutral, but does not help with back to front balance.

HiDefPics:
I like the concept of using a rigid device, but I use the safety sausage because I need the lift added in a specific place, i.e. around the dome port. Adding lift to the housing itself could make it neutral, but does not help with back to front balance.

Buoyancy doesn't need to be located along the housing. You could strap a PVC tube perpendicular to the housing right at the lens port, or make a collar around the lens out of foam like I did.

The safety sausage idea sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want to deal with adjusting it everytime my depth changes. In the end, if it works for you, that is all that matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom