Scuba Gear Lot (Should I buy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am getting into diving and plan to quickly progress my skill level and gear set. It seems this is a good way to get nearly everything at once. I am wanting gear that is going to last me a long time and be reliable. Servicing gear is also not a problem for me either.

Looking for others opinions!
Thank you!
It might be a good deal for somebody, but it's a lousy deal for you. You'll never use most of this stuff and selling it off piecemeal will be a serious PITA.

Just as bad, most of what you can use (e.g. the BCD and AL80 tanks) won't be ideal so you'll end up replacing them anyway. Meaning you haven't saved any money and you had to put up with suboptimal equipment.

You'll be much better off figuring out exactly what you need and accumulating that as you go. With a mixture of new and used, you'll be able to stay within the same $1500 and will be much happier.

That said. If the wetsuits and drysuit are in good shape and fit you, I'd try to buy them separately. Your friend should be willing to do this because it will make it easier for him to sell the rest.

The silver tanks are aluminum but are using a valve that I have only ever seen on steel hp “Genesis” tanks, it makes me a little suspicious. I spend a lot of time looking at used gear online and have gotten some great deals, but I have also seen many people throw together random stuff that doesn’t work together and try to sell it.

Thank you guys again for the responses, to answer a few questions.

1. @Rob9876 your probably right some of it is to “save money” BUT

2. I do plan to get into tech diving.

3. I do plan on doing some underwater work which I feel a com system may be helpful / necessary.

4. All I have left for my certification is the open water quarry dives.

5. I plan to aggressively obtain more certifications after my open water.

Only the light and regs are really of value.

SMS100 is outdated and never that good to start with.
Full face mask isn't going to help you progress.
If the drysuit fits perfectly it might be worth something.

I buy and sell a bit. You REALLY need to know what you're getting if you think you'll do better than break even and I live in a place with breathes scuba.

Since you don't seem to know what you're getting, or how to use all of it, I'm going to say it's a bad purchase for that reason. You're going to end up with a lot of scuba-gear you don't know how to use, or an unknown quality and history, and which you may not be equipped to (re)sell.

Most of this is not stuff people naturally grow into. For example, that scooter is something very few divers would naturally buy. It's a lower-end one, and by the time you use a scooter, you want a better one. Sidemount requires SM training, and that training isn't cheap. SM BCDs can be finicky too, you need one that fits you. The camera looks outdated, a GoPro would likely serve you better. Masks, you need one that fits YOU. The dry-suit and wetsuits are probably not your size (statistically speaking).

In other words, I expect what will happen if you buy this, is you won't be able to use 66% of the equipment, some of it will need maintenance or repairs, and by the time you go to sell it, the effort you put into selling would be greater than any profits you might make.

its a lot of stuff but the price isn't low enough to be a good deal in case you might not end up using some stuff (the sms100, seadoo, ocean reef neptune) or might not fit you (eg the drysuit)

the regs are likely hollis also with an abs octo on one set, and they were never that well regarded so worth is on the lower end.

Thank you guys again for the responses, to answer a few questions.

1. @Rob9876 your probably right some of it is to “save money” BUT

2. I do plan to get into tech diving.

3. I do plan on doing some underwater work which I feel a com system may be helpful / necessary.

4. All I have left for my certification is the open water quarry dives.

5. I plan to aggressively obtain more certifications after my open water.
2) The chances you'd want a SMS100 are really low. I personally love SM, but lots of people hate SM. As far as the SMS, I think they're fine, but other SM divers don't like them. We also have to cross our fingers it's in good shape. You can always buy one used later, if you decide that's the one you want.

3) That's probably a ways off. And when you get to that point, you and your team probably want a similar/same system.

4/5) You're talking about commercial diving and tech-diving when you haven't even finished your OW course.

I love scuba, I'm enthusiastic, a DIY guy, even do crazy sidemount, and regularly shop the used market. I've been in your shoes, and perhaps still am. I have a LOT of scuba-equipment I don't use (and probably should sell), and I even got great deals on most of it. I have a very nice custom "technical" backplate BCD setup, which I've probably only dove 10 times, and it's been sitting in a box for probably 3 years now. I have spare dive computers. I have over 1-dozen full sets of regulators (1st, 2nd stage, hoses, SPG). I've made similar mistakes, and had similar ideas where I was going to fast-track into tech-diving or something similar.

What kind of diving do I do these days, after a couple hundred dives? Most is 30-60 feet deep. Nothing technical. I have zero interest in commercial. While I'd enjoy instructing, I've learned the industry takes advantage of instructors (plus, it's expensive). While taking a tech-course sounds fun, the skillset would rarely be used.

Your enthusiasm is great, and don't lose that, but maybe try some diving first. Spend time in the water, do dives, perhaps work on skills on occasions, and on others just simply enjoy the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom