Scuba Gear Lot (Should I buy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are just getting into diving, the SMS100 is going to be a little out of your scope.
AL80 tanks can range from good to no local shop will fill them.
Sea Doo scooter is probably a pool toy
Drysuit and wetsuits are worthless if they don't fit right. But that could make the value if they are "right"

$1500 could be worth it, can't say. There are lots of unknowns.
Yes I figured a side mount setup I wont use right away but eventually I will get into it.
What should I look for when trying on the drysuit?
The person I am buying from is the same height as me and similar in weight.

You can inspect and try on the fins and wet suit to see if they fit. Search prices on line and 50% is reasonable if they are in good shape. I consider the BCD and regs to be life saving equipment and would want to take the BCD into the pool to be sure it didn't leak. Same with the dry suit. If they aren't maintained and serviced properly, used regs can be a problem. As someone just getting into diving, you would need an experienced eye to at least open up the second stages and have a look. Most of the rest of the gear, IMO, is stuff you will never use, or if you really want it, you can buy later. (I have owned and resold most of it myself.)

Where you are at this stage, and not really knowing what to look at/for, I'd probably pass on it....

I'm not overly excited with what I see there.

But that's me...

You’ll do ok at that price if you can use a lot of it but some things like the old camera doesn’t have much value, regs look ok and if the dry suit fits well, scooter works etc. I would probably offer $800 and drag my feet to $1000 because it’s still a risk.

Okay thanks for everyone’s comments!

I guess what I see is that an hp50 slimline is going to be ~400 (used). A Neptune II with com is another ~400 (used). Same with a drysuit (if it fits). That’s already ~ $1200 on the used market (I think).
And that’s not including all the other tanks, regs, bcd’s, bags, storage boxes, etc.

If my thinking is wrong please let me know haha, you won’t hurt my feelings.

Dude it depend on your relationship with the other dude, be respectful, leave your enthusiasm face at home
If the stuff that needs to fit fits that is what I would be studying go and try the drysuit wearing two tracksuits
other stuff keep it or sell it you can put the regs on a tank no leaks there's your service what a cool purchase

or maybe not

So take lexvil with you

and rhwestfall

The dive rite canister may be the most valuable thing there, if it works, if it’s in great shape, if the batteries are good, if you find someone looking for one.

The Neptune same if’s especially the someone looking for one part.

The drysuit, $100 IF

Al 80’s $50 each, IF

The biggest IF is can YOU use it, reselling stuff is tough especially if you have to ship it anywhere.

A good possibility being you are not close to salt water is a plus for some of the gear, like Regs, if they are not mainstream brands they will have a very tiny market and that market will be made up of people who don’t want to pay much.

Once again never buy used scuba gear that you think other people may want, base the price you pay on what you will use, if you think you’ll get into side mount this is a good start, start it sooner rather than later, it takes time to be a dialed in side mounter but it’s a great way to dive with a lot of air.

Okay thanks for everyone’s comments!

I guess what I see is that an hp50 slimline is going to be ~400 (used). A Neptune II with com is another ~400 (used). Same with a drysuit (if it fits). That’s already ~ $1200 on the used market (I think).
And that’s not including all the other tanks, regs, bcd’s, bags, storage boxes, etc.
Are you buying things to save money (like my wife does :) ) or are you buying things you really think you need? For example:

Cannister light -- I don't know many people other than cave/technical divers who use cannister lights these days. Surely some others do and love them, but you can get more than enough light for recreational night dives with a $100 light that's fairly small in comparison. Are you intending to do cave/technical diving?

Neptune II -- similarly, though no doubt some people love them, I don't know many people who actually use full face masks. Personally I'd probably only use one if I had some type of jaw issues that prohibited my use of regular regs. As for coms, frankly part of what I love about diving is the quiet, and hand signals have worked just fine.

Also, not knowing the history, much of this gear you might want/need to get serviced before using. That costs money -- here are some rough estimates, can vary a lot by dive shop
  • BCD service - around $40 maybe
  • Reg set service - probably $100-150 per set or more (1st stage, 2 2nd stages, and SPG). For many regs, only certified technicians can get the part sets needed, so regardless of how mechanically inclined you have to use a dive shop with certified techs, and not all dive shops service all brands.
  • Tanks - if they need hydro testing that can be around $40 or more each tank -- this also requires a certified shop that has required inspection stickers or no shop will fill them.
Etc., etc. I'd skip the camera and the scooter too personally. But honestly, with you not yet being certified, I'd be inclined to say hold off on buying anything but mask, fins & snorkel until you know that diving actually is for you (some people have sinus issues, ear issues, vertigo issues, etc. that they don't know of until they try diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom