BCD Holding Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fooks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm pretty sure I have a problem with my bcd but thought I'd still ask instead. When I manually inflate my bcd, after approx 2 hours its lost a considerable amount of air.
Could this be a small leak in the blatter? When in the water and filling up my bcd I can hear some air escapeing from the part of the bcd where the inflator is attached to the back of the jacket. Can a new blatter be added? or once bcd's are damaged is it time to go looking for a new one?

Sounds like a leaky valve to me, but I'm no expert and you should take it to your LDS and have them look at it. If you feel comfortable messing with it yourself, then disassemble the valve and clean it. You could have some sand or something caught in it that isn't allowing it to fully close.

May be as simple as the inflator hose a little loose, check the ring that connects it to the bladder (hand snug only, no tools). Had this happen a time or two.

fooks,

On many BC's wire ties are used to cinch the inflater "hose" to the bladder inlet. That connection can be loosened after awhile. Usually, you can hear the leak or see it if you submerge the BC. If that is where the leak is, cut off the old tie and put on new one--firmly, but gently.

But, that solution depends on what kind of BC you have.

Joewr

Depends on the kind of BC you have. Many of the newer BCs don't have bladders (bladderless) and thus, once they have a hole in the "bladder" you either have to patch it or look for a new one. However, many BCs have dump valves (butt-dump) that may need tightning as well as the point the hose attatches to the "bladder." If you have an older bladder style BC (I think some of the newer wings fall into this catagory as well ??), then replace the bladder might be an option.

Take it to your LDS or someone you know has the knowledge necessary to look at it. Good Luck :)

Try filling up the BC and submerging it in the bathtub to find the source of the leak, then go from there.

ID

Once you find it fix the durn leak... chewing gum works wonders! (just teasin' now)

:p

Well the valve where the “ hose “ is attached is a fragile point (movements while manipulating the hose)

Another very intersecting and easy thing to do to look for a leaking is : use some quite concentrated soap water an put with a pencil some soap water on the suspected area or valve, if leaking there will be some bubbles formation.

Fa:)

I over the past couple of days experienced the exactly same problem with my wings. To solve the problem all I did was to disassemble and clean both purge valves and soak the low presure inflator in hot, not scalding, water for several minutes and work the buttons underwater for a couple of more minutes. Wing now work like new

Sam

Back
Top Bottom