BCD or Reg First?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good choice on the ScubaPro. That is all I run. I have 3 MK10/G250's. These regs will litteraly last a life time The MK25/s600 is the second best setup SP makes (1st is MK25/G250) The G250 has a larger diaphragm so it breaths a slight bit better then the s600. 3 out of breath elephants could not out breath this reg, again good choice.

I would have to say to but the BCD first if you are going to spend a lot of time in the water. A good fitting BC makes all the difference in wanting to do that extra dive. You guys have to shop around for one that fits you best Dont worry about name or sales pitch just get the one that is right for you. Remember if you walk in to different shops they are going to tell you there stuff is the best and everyone else's is junk dont listen to that.

Unless you are going to go real deep the reg set is not the best choice right now. no matter what depth ur at you are wearing the BC and if it is not made for you and can leave you uncomfortable. Get the BC then the reg

I would purchase the regulators first. If I go to a dive destination and rent gear I don't know how clean the gear is going to be. A dirty BCD isn't great but I'm not going to get sick or a sinus infection from it. A dirty regulator is a different story. I used to get the occasional sinus infection when renting gear in the Caribbean. Since I purchased my own regulator I haven't gotten a sinus infection on vacation.

Additionally, if you are going on a two week vacation it is hard to pack everything you need with the luggage restrictions some airlines have. If I had to leave a piece of equipment behind, the BCD weighs a lot more than the regulators. So I'll be more likely to leave the BCD than the regulator. If all you have is a BCD and no regulator, you are back to renting everything.

Which should come first: the BCD or the Reg.

It depends on the deal you're getting. If your budget is tight, I would suggest you look at Hog/Edge Gear. They are very inexpensive and yet high in quality. I am not on a tight budget and Hog regs are my reg of choice due to their quality. But dang, they are cheap, er inexpensive. :D

reg or bdc -> reg first (as per scubadiver888).

But have you considered a dive computer first?

Also consider buying a package for 1 person this year & a second package next year as the packages are generally way cheaper than buying piece by piece. Flip a coin to see who gets a merrry xmas this year!

At 45 dives you have likely rented several different types of bcds & regs. It appears you have chosen an acceptable reg. This is all good. Have you any ideas on your preferred bcd? If not, then buy the reg and continue to rent bcds while you make a decision - but in general there will not be a large selection of rental bcds to gain actual experience from.

You can also learn a lot by asking other divers about their equipment on each dive you do. Divers love to extol the virtues of their equipment so you will need to apply a filter.

Making a bcd choice may be a little harder as there are several different types/styles to chose from.

I would go in this order:

1. Exposure protection
2. Mask/Fins/Snorkel
3. Reg.
4. BCD

The logic behind this is to buy gear in the order of its likelihood to ruin your dive.

Being cold because of an ill-fitting rental wetsuit will absolutely ruin a dive. In my experience, being cold is the most frequent reason divers do not enjoy themselves.

Getting blisters from poorly fitting fins (usually full foot fins) comes in second. Closely followed by constantly fiddling with a poorly fitting mask.

Now, not to say that a blister is a bigger problem than a regulator malfunction, but in my experience, rental regulators are no more likely to malfunction than ones that you buy. The main difference between a rental regulator and one you buy is going to be ease of breathing. An easy breathing reg is very nice to have. But the difference between an easy breathing reg and your typical rental rig is not so great that it is likely to ruin an otherwise good dive.

BCD comes in last by process of elimination. Not unlike wetsuits, a BCD is a matter of personal fit. But unlike a poorly fitting wetsuit, a less than perfectly fitting BCD is far less likely to ruin an otherwise good dive.

I'll second (or third?) the opinion that buying used you can get both pieces for both of you at a lower cost than buying 1 piece each new.

This is just one craigslist ad I might check out if I were in your area:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/spo/2111317182.html

I would also recommend buying the Reg first. I would also suggest buying new rather than used for two reasons, warranty and peace of mind. If I bought a used Reg I would almost automatically want to get it serviced or service it myself. I recently bought new two sets of HOG regs shipped complete for less than $500 each complete with cold water primary, two matching secondaries, all hoses and an spg. For a solid reg brand new that is pretty decent. I got mine from caveadventurers.com and I cannot say enough about the service.

There are tons of other regs out there also that are decent. I believe the mk25 is pretty pricey as well. Good Reg but expensive.

My opinion
Stano

I fall in the BCD first category! I dived a lot on rented gear and never did I have a bad dive because of a "improper fitting regulator." Once they go in your mouth they will work the same in recreational depth. I did have a few crappy dives because of poorly fitted fins and twice because of poorly fitted BCD. On a crowded day in a dive shop they may run out of an ideal sized BCD or wetsuit and then they will put you in the next size they have. Since proper fitting is so crucial in diving, wherever fit is involved, I will have my own gear.

Cheers -

CS

Definately reg first. JUst replaced my old reg with the MK25/S600 and could not be happier. Always thought of my reg as my life support system and the most important part of my gear, therefore wanted it to be my choice and my own to maintain.

I bought both and still have the regs, but changed to a backplate system from a jacket system.

So... I'd go with the best regs you can find, then try out different BCD systems and figure out what you like best before investing. From where I sit, your regulator is your biggest piece of life support gear, and you should get something top quality! If maintained properly, it will last you your lifetime! BCD's...not so much...

Good luck with your investment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom