BCD problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noblesix

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear fellow divers,

I have a Mares hybrid pure back inflate bcd. I think it's a very cool BCD but I also think it's a little too big for me. I was wondering if you guys could give me some good ideas what I can do about it. I can't sell it because it's a gift and the person who gave it to me took a long time to save the money to get me this. Why I think it's a little too big, the shoulder straps will hang above my shoulders instead of resting on my shoulders, especially on the surface when I'm positively buoyant. I have tried to fasten other straps but it still pushed up and won't really stay.

Thank you,

Dee

No chance of an exchange then?

No chance of an exchange then?

Hi Hawkwood, unfortunately I can't exchange it. When I put it on the land, the BCD seemed ok, very comfortable and seemed fit me well. Then when I used it during my rescue course, I realized that it was a bit too big. BCD used is non-returnable or exchangeable. =(

If the primary issue is the BCD riding up on you, could you not have a crotch strap added? A luggage repair shop (or similar) could sew on a strap for you.

If the primary issue is the BCD riding up on you, could you not have a crotch strap added? A luggage repair shop (or similar) could sew on a strap for you.

That is actually not a bad idea. I saw some of backplated BCD has a crotch strap. Might give it a try. Thank you! =)

Does the retailer not want to change the BCD for one of a bigger size?

I would second the idea of a crotch strap as a solution if you can't get it exchanged.

That was one of my dislikes for the jacket type BCD - it is possible for it to ride up with nothing apart from friction to hold it down. The crotch strap will prevent that.

Mares sells an accessory crotch strap for the Hybrid Pure. It's discusssed at 3:40 on the video:

[video=youtube;WIdPgtu5zyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIdPgtu5zyw[/video]

Mares sells an accessory crotch strap for the Hybrid Pure. It's discusssed at 3:40 on the video:

Well, we can all go home now...nothing more to see here.

Nice.

I would second the idea of a crotch strap as a solution if you can't get it exchanged.

That was one of my dislikes for the jacket type BCD - it is possible for it to ride up with nothing apart from friction to hold it down. The crotch strap will prevent that.

Do you use a crotch strap as well? Does it bother you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom