BCD question - potential hazards with buying old stock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All dive gear is overprice. If you can get a good, new but older stock name brand BCD for around $200 then you're doing just fine. Obviously you can't test it before you buy it unless by chance the Ebay seller happens to live within a reasonable driving distance but the listing clearly states that it's returnable if not as described so there's no risk here.

Alec Peirce has a series on Youtube one of the videos is how to service the inflator dump valve, you oughta take a look at that one. Also that particular BCD can be vented by pulling on the inflator valve rather than holding the hose over your head which is a handy feature.

New but older stock that is a few years old of a name brand BCD for $200 is good. At 14 years old we are way past a few years old. There is no vintage value in the BCD the OP linked to, and to pay tha much for a BC that old is just rediculous.

Lets hypothesize the original price for this model BCD, 14 years ago, was $600....if one depreciates the value by 10% for the first 4 years, 15% by the next 4 yeas, and then 20% for each additional year beyond year 8, the depreciated value of this BCD would be just under $54.

Just because it has never seen water or left a shop does not mean it is "new"....it is just ridiculously "old stock" that some shop failed to sell.

-Z

if one depreciates the value by 10% for the first 4 years, 15% by the next 4 yeas, and then 20% for each additional year beyond year 8, the depreciated value of this BCD would be just under $54.

It's not a car. Better way is to see what the stuff sells for and what people are paying. You know, the old supply vs demand thing rather than making up depreciation numbers.

It's not a car. Better way is to see what the stuff sells for and what people are paying. You know, the old supply vs demand thing rather than making up depreciation numbers.

Educate us then, what does a 14 year old BCD typically sell for?

-Z

You could email the seller and offer less, depending on how long it's been up, he might take the offer.

Not saying there would be a problem, if it only lasted a two or three years, if that,would it be worth it? My attitude towards buying used gear is how much losing my money will upset me. If that's the BC you want, and the cost won't break the bank, give it a shot. Do you feel lucky?

Bob

Why would you think it would only last 2-3 years? I bought the same one for my girlfriend, slightly used. She's got over 100 dives on it over the past 7years and it looks and works as good as it did the first time she used it. Good quality, well maintained dive gear can last a lifetime.

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of gearing up after getting our OW certification last year. I'm hoping to get some feedback here on what potential issues could be hidden in the potential purchase of a new, never wet BCD, but that is coming out of old stock. I've found what seems like a good deal, however, the BCD was manufactured in 2005. While it hasn't ever been used, there isn't a way to determine how it was stored either before the store acquired it, or after.

I am getting the name of the shop so I can verify they are an authorized reseller for warranty purposes already. I'm curious what other kind of potential issues could there be, and more importantly wouldn't be easily remedied by a service at my LDS?

Thanks in advance for the insight!
Will you get a chance to see it, touch it, smell it, try it on before you buy it? Is it being sold by a LDS? If you are able to physically touch the item then here are a few things you can do:

1) Examine the materials, stitching, zippers (do they work? signs of rust?), D-rings (physical condition, attachment points);
2) Visually inspect for possible repairs (misaligned stitching, change in cloth color or slightly different materials);
3) Examine the dump valves and their attachment points;
4) Is one dump valve slightly different in color than the others;
5) Inspect all Velcro (attachment points, stitching and signs of use);
6) Inspect and test inflator hose;
7) Inflate the bladder completely and test the dumps (perform x2 or x3);
8) When inflating the bladder pay attention to whether it fills evenly;
9) Inflate the bladder; let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then check to see if it continues to hold air; and
10) As you dump the air, put your nose at the different dump points to determine whether a funky smell is evident.

I think those items are a good place to start but I'm sure I missed something. If everything appears to be in working order and since you say it's new/old never wet stock from 2005, I would make sure the price is damn good.

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of gearing up after getting our OW certification last year. I'm hoping to get some feedback here on what potential issues could be hidden in the potential purchase of a new, never wet BCD, but that is coming out of old stock. I've found what seems like a good deal, however, the BCD was manufactured in 2005. While it hasn't ever been used, there isn't a way to determine how it was stored either before the store acquired it, or after.

I am getting the name of the shop so I can verify they are an authorized reseller for warranty purposes already. I'm curious what other kind of potential issues could there be, and more importantly wouldn't be easily remedied by a service at my LDS?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

BCDs and hoses are the 2 things I would not buy used or new old stock that old.

If you look around, you will be able to find new BCDs on clearance for around $200.

Closeouts Piranha Dive Shop |

20 years old at least, including an airII for 40 dollars

full.jpg

and I ain't sellin

full.jpg

old hoses included

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom