BCD Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would take the bullet and recommend a back plate and wing. No matter what BCD you buy eventually you will grow out of it and if you learn to dive a BP wing you will be saying to yourself "How come no one ever showed me this before." BP Wings are very popular on this discussin board and these posts do not go much further without someone recommending them. I am sure the Tech diving community will jump in soon to highlight what I said. Here is my recommendation for tropical waters

Oxycheq or DSS 18 lbs travel wing.
Aluminium Back plate
Basic threading with standard D rings.

With this configuration, I would recommend carrying weight on the belt.

For cold waters I would use a 40 lbs wing and steel BP.

I totally disagree. On the other hand I totally endorse the post by TSand. There are superb divers with thousands of dives that have not "outgrown" any system other than BP/W. When I go diving I get on an airplane so I like how well my bc packs. I love my Zeagle Stiletto because I like the integrated weights and built in pockets. I find it more convenient for the diving I do, which is tropical diving.You need to try jacket BC, back inflate BC and BP/W. Anyone of them might be "perfect" for you. I have tried all three BC's and chose the one that fit me and how I like to dive. You should do the same. Be skeptical of anyone who provides you with and absolute "You should only do it this way". I have never lost my weight pockets nor has anyone I've ever been diving with so to make it sound like it happens all the time is a gross exaggeration. I have never seen a weight pocket on the bottom. I know it happens but most systems are very dependable. I've never known a Zeagle to have that issue. Never even heard of it happening. On the other hand it is not the answer for everyone :D if I said that I would be, well, not accurate.

Well said farsidefan1. I have both a jacket and BI from Scubapro, love them both, and still dive both. Tried a BP/W and didn't like it at all. I would tell the OP to have a look at the Scubapro Seahawk. Very high quality, BI, has a chest strap, and weight intergrated. Only one tank strap but I have never had a tank come out after hundreds of dives on mine.

Zeagle Stilleto fits your bill

I have never lost my weight pockets nor has anyone I've ever been diving with so to make it sound like it happens all the time is a gross exaggeration. I have never seen a weight pocket on the bottom.

I have, a few times. Then again I've also seen entire weight belts

This is my first post on the forum. Currently, I am on my last week of the open water diver certification. Since this means that I will be diving many times, a set of gear to call my own is necessary. As of now, I own my dive computer, fins, boots, mask, snorkle, etc. The item that I am looking for next is a BCD. Here is a list of the characteristics . . .
Penguin1026:
Also, what is a backplate and wing?
I am struck by four apparent attributes of the OP, based on the first two posts, including : 1. a desire to get input on the purchase of a BCD, 2. newness to diving (the OP is a new, not yet certified diver), 3. a somewhat limited knowledge of options available ('what is a backplate and wing'), and 4. inexperience with SB (first 2 posts).

ScubaBoard is a wonderful resource, not only because you can get immediate feedback on questions, but ALSO because many of the questions that a (newer) diver might have are already extensively discussed / argued. While the SB 'Search' function is not ideal, it is useful. For example, if you move your cursor to the upper right side of almost any SB screen, you will see an open white box with the Search icon (magnifying glass) right next to it. If you do something as simple as type 'BCD selection' in the box and click on the icon, you will be rewarded with 19 pages of threads that somehow relate to the topic. Each page lists 24-25 separate threads - almost 500 threads that somehow address 'BCD selection'. The threads identified on just the first two pages of that search are listed below. Obviously, the Search function produces some results that are probably not applicable to the immediate need on BCD advice. But, with topics such as 'BCD selection', 'newly OW certified diver looking at gear packages', 'how to choose equipment', 'help with BCs', 'Selecting the right BC', etc., I suspect the OP might find a tremendous amount of information to help in the process of BCD selection, in addition to whatever comments come out in this thread. A backplate and wing may or may not be a good choice for this diver. But, for a diver to make a selection of a BCD, without even knowing what a backplate and wing is to begin with, seems like a bad idea - just as choosing a BCD, without even knowing what a jacket BCD is, would also seem like a bad idea.

I won't comment on a particular BCD - I don't know enough about the OP (location, gender, reasons for picking the criteria outlined in the first post, etc) to offer informed advice on that issue. Rather, my advice is, use the power of SB to do some background reading, which just might answer some questions, and raise others that you haven't yet thought of. Good luck.

1. A couple gear questions
2. For Sale Scubapro, Oceanic, Bare, UK, Catalina, dive package
3. BCD selection
4. Why does every new diver want to be an instructor?
5. Getting Started with Cave Diving
6. BCD
7. ldi Advantage Bcd
8. Embarassing Moment - Shore Dive FAIL
9. What equipment do you bring?
10. For Sale Multiple dive items, reg, bc, suits, fins, computer
11. For Sale Recreational Dive Gear Package and extras
12. Newly OW Certified and looking at gear packages!
13. Stuck inflator hose
14. How to choose equipment
15. What would you do different, if you had PADI OW certification to do all over again?
16. Help with bc's
17. Too big a wish list not enough money! Need Help!
18. Novice diver plunge for Backplate and Wing?
19. Is An Instructor Always An Instructor????
20. Instructors That Teach Students Using BP/W
21. Poll: BP&W vs jacket BC, AGAIN!
22. PADI Specialty and Master Diver requirements
23. Teaching my daughter scuba diving?
24. Miami to Boynton Bch Area - Dive Shops that apply equipment rental fees to purchases?
25. PADI Open Water Course ON SIDEMOUNT
26. One stupid thing I did that new divers should avoid
27. fixing to start ow--gear selection questions
28. Dive shop requirements for equipment purchases
29. ~$1000 for Scuba Gear - What to get?
30. Proper hose management when using pony bottles.
31. Will this gear work?
32. Help! First Gear - Need your input!
33. New to Scuba - Need Good Quality/Dependable/Mid-level Equipment
34. critique this equipment selection
35. What Regulator is Right for You? (Part 1 of 2)
36. BC for women
37. Do I really have to pay $50 for one Flat Gasket for Zeagle BC Shoulder Valve?
38. Selecting the Right BCD
39. weight belts or integrated?
40. Are you all just technical? What is technical?
41. Recommendations for exciting "geology" underwater?
42. Support my LDS? Really?
43. Warning! Terrible experience with Happy Dive / Ankermi on Flores
44. Advice
45. What equipment to purchase (esp BCDs)
46. BCD troubles
47. Your problem is not everyone's problem
48. Carrying Gear from Cruise Ship to Dive Shop
49. Open Water Certified Today: Now What?

Colliam7

You are absolutely right from the pragmatic point of view. But I remember my first steps in SB and in diving - it was not a long time ago. I extensively used the metod you recommend and solved numerous questions just by typing a prhrase in the search field. But... for a newbie it is such a great experience to talk in real time with experienced divers around the globe! I have a question here in Latvia, East Europe and someone in Shanghai spends hours to talk with me about it and shares his wisdom. And others join and fill in. I have enjoyed the process itself with a great deal of thrill. Browsing the threads is like reading a Boat Diver manual. Talking live is like rubbing shoulders on a dive boat in solidarity and in anticipation of a great dive. Thanks for being around and giving your time, friends! :)

Last edited:
I totally disagree. On the other hand I totally endorse the post by TSand. There are superb divers with thousands of dives that have not "outgrown" any system other than BP/W. When I go diving I get on an airplane so I like how well my bc packs. I love my Zeagle Stiletto because I like the integrated weights and built in pockets. I find it more convenient for the diving I do, which is tropical diving.You need to try jacket BC, back inflate BC and BP/W. Anyone of them might be "perfect" for you. I have tried all three BC's and chose the one that fit me and how I like to dive. You should do the same. Be skeptical of anyone who provides you with and absolute "You should only do it this way". I have never lost my weight pockets nor has anyone I've ever been diving with so to make it sound like it happens all the time is a gross exaggeration. I have never seen a weight pocket on the bottom. I know it happens but most systems are very dependable. I've never known a Zeagle to have that issue. Never even heard of it happening. On the other hand it is not the answer for everyone :D if I said that I would be, well, not accurate.

Of course! How can we have a BCD recommendation thread without it turning into a BP-WING VS JACKET debate. There is always someone who jumps in yelling "BUT I AM SO HAPPY WITH MY BCD THAT I HAVE NEVER FELT THE NEED TO GROW OUT OF IT." Notice how the same person would also tell you that he or she is a tropical diver. I have rarely seen cave penetration divers, or tech divers say the same.

Scubapro KnightHawk or SeaHawk is the B.C. that meets your criteria!

It's really not about a Jacket vs BP/W since the OP said they wanted a Back Inflate. Some folks simply have this mindset that no matter what BC you have, to "advance" in your diving you have to switch to a BP/W and that you will "outgrow" anything else. I've been diving all through the Caribbean, the Keys, some of the Pacific, and off the coast of NC and I have yet to see a DM in a BP/W. Many of these folks dive for a living every day. I guess someone needs to get the word out to them that the need to get a BP/W if they are going to take their diving to the "next level".

I saw almost nothing BP/Ws on DMs an instructors on my two week trip to the Philippines. Their shops didn't sell BCDs, so they could use what worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom