BCD Style, back inflated vs. vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frank

Reaction score
I am relatively newly certified and have a question (many questions acually) concerning BCD's. I would appreciate any opinions on the pros and cons of back inflated BC's versus jacket style. I understand the jacket style is much more common but the back inflated is much more poular in tech diving. Why is that? Is one better than the other? Is each suited more for different applications?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

I don't know if this information will help, I may be way off base with what you are asking, but I dive with what could be considered a combination BC. It's jacket style in that it has pockets and looks rather like a regular BC but the inflation is all in the back. It uses an upside-down U shaped bladder that sort of puts you on your face if it is inflated fully at the surface.

I like the performance because it tends to put me in a good position underwater. Mostly horizontal instead of lifting the front also and putting me in a semi-vertical position and having to fight things like current and surge. Once draw back is that, as I said, it tends to put you on your face at the surface unless you flip over onto your back. I prefer the "on the back" position for relaxing on the surface anyway.

I am not a technical diver, to I can't speak for the pros and cons of use in that environment, but for what I use it for, I like the back inflate BC. By the way, the one I use is by SeaQuest.

Hopefully, someone with technical experience can give you that perspective. I just had to put in my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Actually, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I am not in any way thinking of or ready for technical diving, I am strictly a (newly certified at that) recreational diver. I only mentioned the technical diving aspect because it seems to be where I hear about the back inflated BC's the most.

I am preparing to make a (as you know) rather large investment in a BC and want to make as informed of a decision as possible. I suppose I am leaning towards the back inflated style, and was simply looking for more experienced verification that that is or is not a good decision.

Thank you again,
Frank

Hi Frank,

I am glad I could give you some helpful input. I actually chose the BC I have because I liked the fit and feel of it. I really didn't know much about the back-inflate vs. jacket inflate at the time, but I really ended up liking it. I really have to commend you on your efforts to do some research on what you are looking at purchasing.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just say the word.

Cheers,

Hi Frank:

I have been diving for 2 years now so I am relatively new too. I started with a vest style bcd and found it quite comfortable. I liked the idea of a back inflator for more of a "female" reason. I found the vest style very restrictive and confining. I found a store that would let me try out bcd's before purchasing them. The first one I tried nearly drowned me. Not really of course but it kept pushing me forward at the surface and it was frustrating. Also, the chest strap was a problem. I tried out a Dacor Flyte Pak recently. No chest strap. Basically a harness coming around with a back inflator. To keep from being pushed forward I added two ankle weights around the tank strap so they went flush against the tank when I put the bcd on it. It's basically a counterweight idea and they are referred to as "keel weights". The bcd is weight integrated which is a big plus. The integrated weights are more to the back than up front and the counterweights keep me straight up and down in the water at the surface. Underwater, I don't even feel like I'm wearing it and it's more freedom than I felt with the vest type. I wouldn't trade it for any other type now. The other thing I changed was I converted to a reg set that puts moisture back into the air you breath in order to eliminate "cotton mouth". Diving could never be better now. Hope this info is of some help.

Hi Frank!
I have several BCDs and there are pros and cons to each. Tech BCs' are made to have more lift capacity than rec BCs' and some, like the Dive-Rite TransPac have redundant bladders. I have a Seaquest Balance which is a great BC. It is weight integrated,back flotation unit that packs nicely for traveling. I also have a Seaquest Pro QD. It is also a great BC. I teach a lot of open water classes and I like the Pro QD because it has more pockets and attachment D-rings for slates etc, and will float you vertical at the surface. It is a weight integrated, jacket style. Both of the units have non-ditchable trim weight pockets in the back. I do not find the back flotation a problem, like Lady Diver mentioned, just lay back and relax! Hope this helps your decision. Check the dive shop in your area and see if they will let you try each style.

Frank - Here's my 2 cents worth.

The reason tech divers use the back inflation system is: that as mentioned above, more lift, "wings" can be change out for different types of diving, simplicity of the design itself, no squeeze when it's inflated and no bladder around your mid-section when you're working underwater. Personally I use & recomend the Zeagle Ranger, this is the best BC ever invented for recreational diving!
This should stir em up.

[Edited by don on 09-12-2000 at 08:03 AM]

Hi Frank,
I was in the same boat as you, didnt know what BC to buy. So I tried different BCs at the shop, and I have to say I stuck with the Seaquest Balance. A very comfortable and convenient BC. No regrets whatsoever. I paid about 320.00 for mine (new of course).

Hey there eman, very good choice. I've got one of those in my garage as well. I use it when I travel. My cold water diving rig of choice is my Black Diamond. Plenty of room for accessories, bulletproof and it's US Navy approved. If it's good enough to pass their standards, it's good enough for me! I also have a US Divers SeaMaster (Sea Monster) and it too fits the above criteria. What's funny is that I purchased all of these without knowledge of the "approved list".

I also had the same questions posted on this board about vest vs. back inflate, and soon found myself in a Zeagle Ranger. Against the advice of many who thought that a newly certified diver shouldn't buy such a tech oriented BC I did and have just under 30 dives on it. Couldn't be happier with my Ranger. It's tops. Good luck on choosing your BC.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom