bcd use in tek diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dennisgrimm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to diving (started just over 3 months ago). To make a long story short, I am hooked big. I have my PADI OW, AOW, wreck specialty, nitrox specialty, and am registered for my rescue course. I eventually plan on getting into tech diving (not for a while yet) and I was wondering....

Half way through my OW course I bought a zeagle tech bcd because I figured it would be a good bcd for years to come, no matter how far I wanted to go with this hobby. I am very happy with my bcd (even though I am only doing recreational diving right now). Does anyone do tech diving with a bcd? Other than comfort, what does a bp/wing setup let you do that you cannot do with a bc? Basically, do I NEED a bp/wing setup?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie

Dennis,

You are problably going to be amazed at all of the mail that will come in on this one subject! As Paul Harvey would say: "Stand by for NEWS!":eek:

I commend you on your interest in diving, and on your desire to go farther in your diving education. The Rescue course is always a good one to take because it gives you the confidence to be able to handle yourself in the water while you help someone else. I applaud you for doing it.:wink:

You will probably hear a lot of negative stuff about the combination of "BC" and "TECH DIVING"! I would recommend that you hold your own counsel, and continue the type of diving you are doing for a while. Your Zeagle will be just FINE for quite a while!:D Don't sell it. Don't buy new equipment just yet. Give yourself a chance to weigh pro's and con's (and trust me, you are about to hear a LOT of them), and then make a more educated decision. The realm of "technical diving" covers many sins, so to speak (Joke, guys, joke!:wink: )!!! Your BC will work in quite a few situations, and in others, it will not! Try reading "The Technical Diving Encylopaedia" by Mount, et al, from IANTD to get a good overview. (See also <www.bestpub.com> for more good books on the subject.)

O.K. boys and girls, fire away!!!:boom:

Hey, What works works!
I personally have been diving with both and the only reason I use a BP and wings now is because I am diving with dual 120's and it puts kind of a strain on my zeagle, but as far as diving with smaller tanks it will work just fine until you get into deco procedures and Trimix where you might need larger tanks.
But for now I would say hang tight with your Zeagle.
Rob

Hey

Zeagle is one of the best bcd’s for tech and recreational diving. Im using the Zeagle Ranger for something like 4 years for all my dives, form OW diving courses to TriMix dives.
U can mount on the zeagle up to 5 tanks with double bladder and it takes it all. It is possible to use with the zeagle a backplate , but it is not nessesery. It has a soft back that can support all the tanks u mount. You do not NEED a back plate when going into tech dive, but I believe that when the time comes and u will take the tech course u will b able to decide to take a backplane or leave the bcd as it is. Some of the diving instructors are under the impression that only a bp + wings are suited for tek dive. I believe that an open mind is more important than a standard configuration of equipment.

I believe u made a good decision when u bought it and u will b able to use it for all you’re activities.

Cheers

mark

Thanks everyone for the responses.:)

I am glad to hear that my zeagle should last me for a long time.

I am still wondering (maybe I am not listening hard enough).... what exactly is it that a BP can do that a BC can't? Is it just more stable? Why does DIR insist on a BP? :confused:

I started technical diving with a ranger. I switched to a tech when my wife took my ranger. I'll tell you what I didn't like. I find the d-rings positioned poorly for carrying a stage and backup lights the way I want to carry them. There isn't really any place to put a can light on the belt because the weight pouches are in the way and you don't really have a belt.

My big complaint is that the bladder is partially between you and the tanks so when their is air in the bladder the tanks move further away making it difficult for many to reach their valves. As I remember it was even worse on the tech pack which I also used.

That's my experience anyway.

The idea of the backplate is that it suppose to hold the tanks more stable on youre back.

The backplate was invented originally for cave divig when u had to mount the tanks on side mont ( becouse the diver has to enter into narrow places and it was difficult to do that with the tank on the back) later, it was adopted by tek divers for open water dive.

My suggestion is that when it comes to that , make some dives with the back plate cofiguration and decide for yourlsef what is good for u.

cheers
mark

dennisgrimm once bubbled...

I am still wondering (maybe I am not listening hard enough).... what exactly is it that a BP can do that a BC can't? Is it just more stable? Why does DIR insist on a BP? :confused:

Okay, even though I dive an Extended Range Inspiration on mixed-gas, which makes me a "Tool of the Devil" in the eyes of some DIR cultists I will try to offer some of the reasons. (NOTE: I did not say "all DIR folks", kids! Please take note of that BEFORE you get the flame-throwers out!:wacko: )

(1) A back-plate in stainless steel, which I use on my unit, will move a good chunk of the weight you need to your harness and off your hips, if you still wear a weight belt. (I prefer the DUI Weight and Trim II myself.)

(2) Using twins, especially big tanks, it gives you better support for the rig, and is, in fact more stable with the larger rig. (Is it more comfortable than a soft or semi-rigid back BC? Simply put, no! But the trade-off is for a reason.)

(3) Usually, the edges of the plate are drilled with holes which gives you some optional mounting points for various bits of kit.

These are, I would have to say, the BASIC reasons for going to a back-plate set-up. The "wings" style BCD is a natural fit for the rig then, because they come in various amounts of lift, tuck away between the plate and the tanks thereby staying out of the way of all the rest of the required gadgetry, and, more importantly for deep mixed gas work, come in redundant bladder configurations!

OKAY! With the basics out of the way, it is now time for the "Apostles" to come out of the wood-work and tell you EXACTLY what materials the buckles must be made of, and exactly how many you may have, and where they MUST be placed, lest you suffer the wrath of the "Ancient and Terrible Old Gods" (or more correctly, Ancient Demons)!!!:scared:

dennisgrimm once bubbled...

Well, here's my list of reasons a BP is superior to a BC:

More stable platform for the tank (it moves around less)

Less weight on the weight belt/weight pockets

Super super super streamlined; means faster in the water, gets in the way less (really doesn't get in your way at all.. the entire BC disappears underwater)

Promotes good trim via weight distribution

Diving platform doesn't change going from singles -> doubles.. only the bladder changes

Will last forever

Completely modular

How's that?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom