bcd use in tek diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D Touchy, aren't we tonight!:confused:

You obviously didn't note my caveat, or my intent to keep it civil! (Do remember that the shoe either fits or it doesn't!) =-)

I was actually amused at the fact that I sounded as if I were quoting material from another agency, and trying to be neutral.

Shall we just keep it on point?:wink:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
You obviously didn't note my caveat, or my intent to keep it civil!
Ah yes, the first step of the "Those DIR folks are so mean" act: "I'm asking to keep things civil, you bunch of fanatical cultists."

You want to keep things civil? I'd say an apology is in order since you went on the offensive [both definitions implied] right out of the gate.

Dennis, I guess I'm one of those fanatical cultist apostles. If we did half the things we're constantly accused of doing, I'd hate us too. :) Fact is we don't, but some people can't support their arguments, so they resort to simply tearing other people down. I apologize for their behavior, it's an embarrassment to the sport.

But to the topic at hand.

Since you already own the Zeagle, keep the Zeagle for the time being. In my opinion it will NOT carry you to a technical endgame. You've got plenty of time and dives ahead of you before you get to doubles, which is where a BP & Wing really shines. Keep your eyes and ears open, and given the rising popularity of the BP&W system, you'll probably get to try out one before long. Then you can make an informed decision.

My only strict piece of advice is to not invest one red cent in "upgrading" the Zeagle in any way ("stabalizing plates" or whatever). Odds are you'll get rid of it when you move to doubles (if not before), and any additional investment in the Zeagle will be lost.

Maybe I should say something like "You should have 5 and only 5 D rings" to satisfy BigJetDriver69's delusions, but that's neither here nor there at this point in your diving.

Roak

Ps. Man, I completely missed the "'Ancient and Terrible Old Gods' (or more correctly, Ancient Demons)!!!" slam the first time around, you're just full of civility, aren't you BigJetDriver69? Please don't bother with step 2 of the "I'm hurt" act, which usually consists of some accusation that I don't know what a smiley face means, as if a direct insult followed by a smiley face makes it OK.

.... I will bite. Why 5 d-rings? Is this one of the things DIR teaches? Do I need to take a DIRF course before I can learn of the secrets? Is there a website or book on DIR? :confused:
I saw the Halcyon site, but it wasn't too specific. I would like to read about DIR and decide for myslef, but I haven't found any info yet.

PS - seems to be a lot of animosity between the DIR, non-DIR folk :rolleyes:

dennisgrimm once bubbled...
.... I will bite. Why 5 d-rings? Is this one of the things DIR teaches? Do I need to take a DIRF course before I can learn of the secrets? Is there a website or book on DIR?

Question 1.) One on the left shoulder, one on the right shoulder, one on the left hip, one on the front of the crotch strap, one on the back of the crotch strap.

Question 2.) Yes

Question 3.) No

Question 4.) The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski...go to Great Pacific Diving (either location) if you want to take a look at/purchase a copy. Use the search button for "DIRF Class Reports" on this site (or PM CaveDiver) for some great internet references...he's done an awesome job putting them together.

Observation 1.) Sad isn't it.

dennisgrimm once bubbled...

IME, most of the animosity is from non-DIR to DIR. The DIR are constantly defending themselves and explaining their choices.

jonnythan once bubbled...

Less weight on the weight belt/weight pockets

Super super super streamlined; means faster in the water, gets in the way less (really doesn't get in your way at all.. the entire BC disappears underwater)

Promotes good trim via weight distribution

Will last forever

I think he pretty much took the words out of my mouth! With a special emphasison streamlined.

BTW it WILL last you forever.

your gonna havr to borrow one and make up your own mind.

The biggest thing IMO is not if you can use a Zeagle Tech for tech diving (you can), it's that if your diving singles AL80 it's OVERKILL 65lbs of lift wow!!! that more than what most people use for AL doubles (55lbs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom