Be afraid ....... be very afraid ......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
as i am one of you now !
After 9 pool sessions and 6 classroom session.

i am a CERTIFIED PADI OW DIVER !! :jester:

Woohoo ...... well here goes my long report

90% on the final exam (dissapointment !)

Went to the Quarry to get certified with my fellow students.

There was only 1 diver on saturday and he was on a DrySuit. I was on my 3/2mm and a 6mm jacket. Oh, nobody was crazy enough to be there today, so we had all 5 acres of the Quarry to ourselves :D

1st & 2nd dive was a disaster as the anxiety builds up and the kick is just ridiculous (10,000 RPM !! ). Everybody had a very very improved 3rd & 4th dive as we are more relax and confident now.

We all breezed thru the required skill test. I was worried about CESA but performed it without even breaking a sweat (still have much air reserved after the ascent) !! :eek:ut:

We saw, a fire truck, a house boat, school bus, F4 Phantom Fighter jet, a bridge and the Minuteman 40" Missile.

One Key WORD: Keep your composure and DONT PANIC !!

I wish i had done this 10 years earlier !! CANT WAIT FOR THE CONFUSING AND EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT SHOPPING AND MY NEXT DIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( hopefully an ocean dive ! )

Detailed Report

Saturday (Cloudy & Windy)

1st ever OW Dive : Temp: 50 deg Air, 68 deg Water
: Max Dept: 46 " Bottom Time: 26 min
: Air used: 2200 psi

2nd Dive : Surface Interval: 1:05, max dept: 46"
: Bottom Time: 31 min

Sunday (Rain)

3rd Dive: : Temp: 52 Deg Air, 64 Deg Water
: Max Dept: 46", Bottom Time: 34 min
: Air used: 2100 psi

4th Dive: : Surface Interval: 12 min, max dept: 46"
: Bottom Time: 32 min
: Air Used: 1700 psi

Visibility Sat & Sun: 20" - 30"

Total Cumulative Bottom Time to date: 2:03

RESULT: ONE HAPPY NEW DIVER :jester:

Glad to hear the excitment in your post... sounds like you are really loving it. It just keeps getting better too. If you loved the quarry you will go nuts with the ocean :D

Congrats!

But, if I read your post correctly it says you went to 46 feet on the first dive. This is a violation of PADI Standards and Procedures. The instructor and DM's are only allowed to take you to 40 feet max on day 1.

Scott

Scottri once bubbled...
Congrats!
But, if I read your post correctly it says you went to 46 feet on the first dive. This is a violation of PADI Standards and Procedures. The instructor and DM's are only allowed to take you to 40 feet max on day 1.
Scott

Not his problem. You want him to send in a QA form?
Nice going dxtreme!

Neil

You can sense the excitement bursting from your comments. I like your drop in air consumption where the length of dives and depth remained close. You can tell that you were relaxing and it only gets better from here.

Remember quarries are to diving as McDonalds is to fine dining. Get to the ocean as quick as you can and see what it is really all about!

I am EXCITED :jester:

problem is .... everybody is a whimp around here !! nobody wants to Dive till APRIL/MAY !!!!!!!!!!!

What should i do ??? train in the local pool ?? dive in more quarry ??

ALso my Instructor told me the sea are kinda rough in FLorida these days/season ???

PADI OW Diving course is easy but in order to be a good diver is sure gonna take more hard work (bouyancy control is one, not stirring the bottom)

ANY GOOD LOCATION TO DIVE IN THE MIDWEST/SOUTH THESE TIME OF THE YEAR ???

On my Check out dives i was wearing 2/3mm oneill and Dacor 6mm jacket. I figure if i put in a hood, gloves and booties it should be more comfortable

You have just effected every vacation you will ever take from now on.

A couple things....

We saw, a fire truck, a house boat, school bus, F4 Phantom Fighter jet, a bridge and the Minuteman 40" Missile.

I want to dive this quary NOW! All I ever see are bass and crawdads.

Excellent on the breathing, very noticable drop. And your comment about kicking. It's good that you noticed it and corrected on your own, well done. I have to tell students at the beginning of every dive "Diving is not swimming, it's graceful, it's not a race, if your feet pass each other more than once a second(give mild conditions)-you're wrong AND you missing all the neat stuff that may be sitting there waiting to be found.

Welcome to da Water!!!!

Sounds like you're hooked which is great, keep up your search for others to dive with as often as possible.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom