Be afraid ....... be very afraid ......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:confused: Hello All I have only gotten my study material 2 days ago and already I am hooked. I have obsessively been readding magazines (3 issues of Dive Training, Scuba something, Skin Diving etc) Searched forums, searched E-Bay and still I haven't had enough. Can't wait to get all of this land stuff behind me. Wanted to ask about equipment. Very overwhelming and confusing. I hate to buy the wrong beginners stuff only to find that what I really am comforatable with soon is something entirely different. Like I said I have been reading and the choices are overwhelming. I have to at least pick out fins, snorkel and mask by next week. Soon to follow will be the BC and Reg The school operaTOR seems very responsible and helpful (not the show off kind. He has been at this over 20 years though and assists with local police and rescue) They have packages already put together for which one gets discounts if they are new. I hate anything bulky, confining and complicated. The sleeker, simpler the better. I also don't do the Wal-Mart thing on anything that my life depends on. There are just so many choices. I think I know what fins I would like but after that I haven't a clue. Especially overwhelming is all the varied opinions and choices with BC's. I am a young 50 female but I am out of shape. (Trying to fix that) Ease of breathing and moving is an important consideration. I think that I would be happiest with a higher end regulator that and humidity and easier breathing. Anybody have any comments or advice for me. Also, I see dive shops on EBay that advertise this stuff at least at 1/3 less than in the little local shop. Not much competition here, only 2 LDS within 50 miles. Lake and quarry diving here. The tropics call me though. I have always been a water rat. Oh well, enough for now. Anxious to hear from all of you.

I am exactly the same situation as you are few months ago !! :)

There are basically two routeds to go based on my experience.

1) local dive shop expensive $$$$ but will help u in fitting, questions .........etc. Prices are at least 30% more

2) www.leisurepro.com or www.diveinn.com. These are mail order stores. Prices are very cheap and way below MSRP.

Which way to go ?? well, if $$ is no object (lucky u) go to the local shop and buy from them.

www.scubadiving.com , go there and look under GEAR. They have tons of reviews.

or buy the current scuba diving magazine which feature 2002 GEAR OF THE YEAR.

For next week,
I would buy FINS and SNORKLE based on www.scubadiving.com review and buy the mask from your local dive shop. Trust me, you dont want a leaky and uncomfortable mask.

Other than that , if you think it is THRILLING now, wait till you do your open water check dives ! :D

As for me i am looking for an AOW class already

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE! :doctor:
I will continue to trudge thru reviews etc. Spent some time at the dive shop today again and checked their prices against what I have been seeing on here. They are higher, you're right. The owner seems pretty open to discussing things. I have been taken with what I have read about blade fins. Sounds like they might be good for this out of shape body. Doubt I'll be doing any cave diving anytime soon! Right now I'm fixated on fins. I instinctively picked up the mask I like today and of course, it was the most expensive selection from all the about 30 choices. Figures. $139! Just like the look and feel of it. Don't remember the name. Clear silicone with many windows and replaceable lens for eyesight correction. So it is from this corner. I'll shut up and read what everybody else is saying! G -

MARINABROKER once bubbled...
:confused: I have to at least pick out fins, snorkel and mask by next week. Soon to follow will be the BC and Reg
There are just so many choices.
Especially overwhelming is all the varied opinions and choices with BC's.
I am a young 50 female but I am out of shape. (Trying to fix that)
Anybody have any comments or advice for me.
Also, I see dive shops on EBay that advertise this stuff at least at 1/3 less than in the little local shop.

Well you've said a lot, but very expressively, and anyone can sense your excitement. Choices and opinions abound. Depending on the shop you're renting from and the type of environment your diving in - Basic Gear may include as much as (starting from the top) hood, mask, snorkel, gloves, small dive light (yes even for day diving as you will learn), compass, knife, booties, fins. Some shops rent more some less. Divesites might be cold, warm, low vis, high vis, surgy, current - all of which could change your list of "required" BASIC GEAR.

As for gear I bought all my own BEFORE I made my first OW certification dive! I don't recommend the same path for you. Rent the big stuff first get a feel for things first.

Don't buy on the Internet - resist the urge to speed up the obsolesence of your LDS. At the least spread some of that hard earned cash on you LDS.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Don't buy on the Internet - resist the urge to speed up the obsolesence of your LDS. At the least spread some of that hard earned cash on you LDS.

I earned the money, not my LDS. Just because I'm a diver doesn't mean they deserve any of my cash. I paid for my OW class, and that's it :)

You say you don't work for an LDS, but a LOT of your posts DEMAND that people basically fork over a part of their income to their LDS for nothing besides "protecting the industry" or something like that. Come on, tell us...

jonnythan once bubbled...

I earned the money, not my LDS. Just because I'm a diver doesn't mean they deserve any of my cash. I paid for my OW class, and that's it :)

You say you don't work for an LDS, but a LOT of your posts DEMAND that people basically fork over a part of their income to their LDS for nothing besides "protecting the industry" or something like that. Come on, tell us...

You have so misquoted me ... read my last post in that other thread. Were not talking incredulous consumer loyalty here. Don't blindly fork over a part of your income -ever. Instead demand quality service from your LDS. Demand a fair price from your LDS. If they don't deliver take your hard earned dollars to another shop.

If there is a local "innovative" dive shop also selling online, well then purchasing on-line is ok, because of the brick and mortar component. Especially, if you don't live near a dive shop or for some other reason.

On a personal note it is obvious to me already that all you've paid for is OW.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
You have so misquoted me ... read my last post in that other thread. Were not talking incredulous consumer loyalty here. Don't blindly fork over a part of your income -ever. Instead demand quality service from your LDS. Demand a fair price from your LDS. If they don't deliver take your hard earned dollars to another shop.

What if there are two or three shops in town, and neither offers the brands or prices I want? What if all the LDS's want to charge me twice as much with one tenth the gear selection? And what if their advice is basically trash?

On a personal note it is obvious to me already that all you've paid for is OW.
That's completely uncalled for. You have no idea what I have bought from or done for my LDS, and it's rude.

jonnythan once bubbled...

What if there are two or three shops in town, and neither offers the brands or prices I want? What if all the LDS's want to charge me twice as much with one tenth the gear selection? And what if their advice is basically trash?

That's completely uncalled for. You have no idea what I have bought from or done for my LDS, and it's rude.

True, I retract what I said, sorry. I was punchy. As for your scenario, I guess there are places like that. You have three choices IMO:

1. Move.
2. Open your own shop
3. Buy from an IDS with a solid store front and a rich brick-and-mortar history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom