Beach Dive at Vero Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh! I see... hmm... 73 isn't bad. The urchins are a PITA though. I definitely know about the gold buddy... if you search this forum, I've posted info from your site a few years ago. We'll definitely be hooking up in the future. :)

CBulla:
Oh! I see... hmm... 73 isn't bad. The urchins are a PITA though. I definitely know about the gold buddy... if you search this forum, I've posted info from your site a few years ago. We'll definitely be hooking up in the future. :)

I've known a few people that have gone Beach Diving and come back a few weeks later to show a Gold Necklace with pretty green stones in it that they found in the sand on a beach!!

Unfortunately, the dive conditions aren't always good. I will not dive in waves over 6" to 1 ft - those will cut the vis to zero. I'm looking for the winds out of the west for at least 3 days before a beach dive. This past weekend we had easterly winds the day before - the underwater vis was such that you could almost see your fins! I'll call the Pepper Park Lifeguards for a few days before the planned dive to check on underwater vis at the 3rd reef and if there are any sharks [ don't like to dive with bull sharks ].

So our beach dives are very hard to set an absolute date for. We usually get in 1 good dive for every 3 dates we set. The best beach diving is during the summer and conditions should start to improve from here on. The max depth is usually 15 feet and we get an hour on an 80 cu ft tank. There is usually a Rum Party afterwards.

If you intersted in joining the group - drop your e-mail address to Irishman@Sprynet.com with an Add to the Divers E-Mail list.

Geo

AH! Welcome to the Conch crew! Thats out Venice Beach dive planning as well, only we don't have the luxury of calling life guards about conditions or sharks.

FlIrishman:
I've known a few people that have gone Beach Diving and come back a few weeks later to show a Gold Necklace with pretty green stones in it that they found in the sand on a beach!!

Unfortunately, the dive conditions aren't always good. I will not dive in waves over 6" to 1 ft - those will cut the vis to zero. I'm looking for the winds out of the west for at least 3 days before a beach dive. This past weekend we had easterly winds the day before - the underwater vis was such that you could almost see your fins! I'll call the Pepper Park Lifeguards for a few days before the planned dive to check on underwater vis at the 3rd reef and if there are any sharks [ don't like to dive with bull sharks ].

So our beach dives are very hard to set an absolute date for. We usually get in 1 good dive for every 3 dates we set. The best beach diving is during the summer and conditions should start to improve from here on. The max depth is usually 15 feet and we get an hour on an 80 cu ft tank. There is usually a Rum Party afterwards.

If you intersted in joining the group - drop your e-mail address to Irishman@Sprynet.com with an Add to the Divers E-Mail list.

Geo

FlIrishman:
The water temp was 73 deg! But we also wear wet suits to protect against the Very Sharp Spiny Urchans. Since were in shallow water - my max depth was 14 ft and aveeraged 10 ft or less on top of the reef, there is a surge. A slight moment of not paying attention and a little surge could put you on the bottom and meet skin to urchin - not a good thing. We eve wear a full wetsuit in the middle of August while beach diving mostly for protection.

And why do we dive hear? Well there is Gold to be found! This area - from Pepper Park north to Sebastian Inlet is known for the many ships that have sunk here, many in the storm of 1715. There's still lot's of Gold to be found here [ but you must remember that you can't pick it up while diving, but if you find it in the sand of the beach it's yours ]!!

Geo / The Irishman
Ok lets get this straight. Theres always been questions of finders keepers and lost weepers but this one is as clear as the stones you speak of. So you know that pepper park is a park and that if you get caught removing anything from the water or sand you will go to jail. There is no exception to this rule not to mention that in order for the item to really be at its value you could only sell it as jewelry and that would be
pretty sad considering what were talking about is history. Dont get me wrong I think you are entitled to something and that should be a percentage of the value of the item and I believe the item should be placed in a museum for all to see. the story in itself is a priceless one that you found something of unique wealth and that you shared it with all makes you more of a hero than a lucky diver. Now on the other hand if you were not in the park and you found something like that it would have to be a toss up of reporting it or having a family heirloom for generations to come. I dont know how you could legaly sell it as a piece of treasure from the 1715 fleet without it
being authenticated and in order to do that it would have to be recorded by the state and well you see my point...I do know that transporting or removing state or federal owned artifacts will get you 10-20 years because I know someone who found some Indian artifacts. he didnt know what they were but hes doing 15 yrs for it.....
I dont know the incriments of the law but a million dollar piece of jewelry may take presidence over some old Indian bones. I look at it this way Id have some cash and Id have braggin rights for that find for a long time after im dead and everyone who looks at it in a museum will say "boy that was some lucky guy who found that"

reefsavers.org:
Ok lets get this straight.
Theres always been questions of finders keepers and lost weepers but this one is as clear as the stones you speak of. So you know that pepper park is a park and that if you get caught removing anything from the water or sand you will go to jail.

Yep - the chances of finding anything of value at Pepper is slight. But I've know people that have found stuff north of there. Between Pepper and Sebastian Inlets are lots of sunken treasure boats. The state of Florida has sold the rights to dive on these wrecks for treasure to Who-Knows-Whom! But they are sold or owned by the state. Going into the water with a metal detector will end you in jail and loss of the detector and whatever else you have on you [ boat, car, etc ]. There are lots of OFR"s [ Old Fart Retirees ] out there living in condo's that have nothing else to do but to watch you go in and out of the water and call you in to the boys-in-blue.

So if you find anyting, find it in the sand in front of a house an not a park.

Gee ya in Gold and Green Stones Heaven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom