beach diving Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

butrflyleslie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to be in Ft Lauderdale next week and would like to get some diving in. We've been told by the dive ops that it's mini lobster season so all the boats will be focused on that. We're staying at Bahia Mar and would be interested in doing some beach dives. How are conditions good right now? What are your favorite sites?

Do you know of any boats going to Tenneco Towers on the 28 or 29th? We hear it's awesome.

We're going to be in Ft Lauderdale next week and would like to get some diving in. We've been told by the dive ops that it's mini lobster season so all the boats will be focused on that. We're staying at Bahia Mar and would be interested in doing some beach dives. How are conditions good right now? What are your favorite sites?

Lauderdale By The Sea Beach Diving in Detail

Do you know of any boats going to Tenneco Towers on the 28 or 29th? We hear it's awesome.

The three charters to check with are Sea Experience, American Dream II, and Pro Dive. I posted links and phone numbers in the other thread you started about your visit.

Yes it is a club/Meetup group run by Gold Coast SCUBA diving a full service shop in LBTS near the ocean. Thing is they're real active. In just a month I've hooked up with a lot of good even unusual diving. Got to demo a Bladefish which I've wanted to do since DEMA last year, dove the Dania and Bahia Mar Erojacks (later one at night), did a great weekend over in Grand Bahama diving wrecks and with lots of sharks, finally this weekend made it back to free dive the Tenneco platform. Something I've been trying to arrange for some years. We even lost a bit over a week to windy weather in that time too. They have dives planned for pretty much every day of the week, lots of night dives, etc.. I think you can even do a trial for a month before paying the $20.. It is a great concept for diving in SE Florida, thanks to Debby for passing on word about it.

You can see some videos and writeups from some of these dives on the first page including a video from the Tenneco (in Photo of the Day) at: http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Someone feel free to correct me but I'm pretty sure Gold Coast Scuba is a club, not a charter ($20 to join as well).

Like Rick said, it's a club attached to a shop (actually the club came first, the shop came along later) and the best bargain in town at $20 for first year and $10 thereafter. I belong to two other dive clubs; one is $35 a year and the other $75, and Gold Coast does more dives in any given month than the other two do in a year's time. Just yesterday, Gold Coast featured a beach dive and BBQ at LBTS including free parking right on the beach. I got my $20 worth right there. I'll be renewing for just $10 for 2011.

The club is hosted on Meetup.com which does cost money to run. Many Meetups are free to join but charge per event and can cost a lot more over a year's time. There is an active and long-running Meetup group that charges $10 for a morning walk on the Broadwalk. Many charge $2 to $5 just to join them for dinner that you still pay for. What can I say, if you like to beach dive (and I LOVE to beach dive) Gold Coast is the best deal in town.

Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup.com

That $20 pissed me off for the longest time. It wasn't the actual money (this isn't exactly the hobby for the cost conscious), it was the paying to dive at a lot of free spots. However, that's not what you are paying for. You are paying for a service. These guys will schedule dives (if you don't like solo diving), both beach and boat (boat dives are usually discounted). They will meet you at the sites on many occasions with any rental gear that may be needed (also discounted for members). Give you some free emergency repairs. Also a great place to meet others with a similar interest.

I've only been diving for a couple of years, but met more of my regular dive buddies through this group (the old & new) then through all my other places combined (Scubaboard, boats, beach, etc.).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom