Beaches?? Beach clubs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daddoos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! We are looking forward to our dive vacation to Cozumel in just a few weeks. We are staying near Cozumel Palace. We would love to hear your recommendations for beaches, beach clubs, special events (between the 25th of June and July 4th) and really anything else! We've been to Coz before but this is our first time not going the "all inclusive" route.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions, we look forward to all responses!

Cozumel is not exactly a beach place in the touristy areas. You can pay some ridiculous fee (ie $25/person) and go to places like naichi cocom, palancar beach, paradise reef etc etc. All those beaches offer either free admission but you will be very much persuaded to get drunk to the boot with high cost drinks or you pay an entry fee and then they make you pay for all other things too.

On the west coast majority of beaches are pay to use beaches that belong to resorts, hotels, bars etc.

If you really want to experience picture perfect beach let me advise you a few sports.

rent a car and drive to Punta sur. There is really not much of stuff to see along the way unless you stick to the coast on west side of island. You can take a quicker way and just take rafael el melgar all the way to punta sur.

Between amazing view, amazing beach and bar and goodies shop that place is worth its weight in gold. I have been there about 5-6 times now at different times of day. Meeting sunset there is amazing. During good weather that place is even better.

From Punta Sur (which is free) you can drive up (be sure to take the right road next to the beach, not the high way) you have about ohh 25 miles or so worth of absolutely spectacular windward shore line. When I say spectacular, I mean picture worthy. Nothing but one giant shore line filled with white sand that makes hair on the back of your neck stand up. The downside is that there is absolutely no shade... like none. As you drive up north there are a few bars and even a hotel (only hotel on that coast). Chen Rio Beach has been recently cleaned up and 2nd bar was built and that is about the only place there that has any shade. Sit under the palm trees or under cabanas, enjoy awesome beaches and scenery.

If you feel adventurous you can follow the shore line all the way up north (on a 4x4 car) I have never been there but it might be worth the drive if you are there anyways.

If you ask me, I would rather pay $55 for a car rental + $10 in gas and go where legs carry you instead of taking a $12 taxi, paying $25 entry fee then have like 9 bazillion people there.

If you feel adventurous you can follow the shore line all the way up north (on a 4x4 car) I have never been there but it might be worth the drive if you are there anyways.

If you ask me, I would rather pay $55 for a car rental + $10 in gas and go where legs carry you instead of taking a $12 taxi, paying $25 entry fee then have like 9 bazillion people there.
:eek: Talk to someone who has been up that north road recently before you try. I think it's more of a washed out trail, and your rental insurance won't covered you when you wreck up there. The army probably still blocks people from trying anyway.

If you rent a car, make sure you have full insurance, drink NO alcohol, and expect to be ripped off if you have a wreck - and when you buy gas.

I love to go to the Paradise Beach Club or to Palancar Beach. I have never been charged a fee to get in. Sure the sell drinks and food, I usually order a bottle of water and just enjoy the day. No one has ever pressured me to by drinks and get drunk! Paradise is bigger and offers a giant pool and has lots of toys in the ocean. Palancar is much more quiet and laid back. Both have bathrooms and showers. I liked going on Sundays the best but any day is a good day on the beach in Cozumel.

If you have a group you can rent for a van for the day. You can also get a plain taxi to do the same for a couple. Negotiate the price with a driver you like or perhaps ask at the dive shop your diving with if they have a favorite driver (most do). Ask how much per hour and go. No car rental no insurance issues, accidents, drinking and driving issues... We did and had a wonderful day:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451492-beech-bar-crawl-3-22-13-a.html

Palancar.jpg

I agree with Judy on Palancar....it is one of our favorites. No admission & have never been pressured to buy drinks(we usually do though) Food is pretty good there also & not ridiculously priced. It doesn't get a lot of kids because it doesn't have the "toys" some of the other beach clubs have(i.e. quieter) Plenty of loungers, tables & trees so you can enjoy sun or shade.

Back
Top Bottom