Beam Angles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the most important yet sometimes overlooked aspects of a good light is beam angle (IMHO).

I like a nice tight beam with little or no side spill so it reduces back scatter and penetrates deep through the often less than optimal viz waters.

Others may prefer a wider angle when doing 20 meter + viz night dives.

What are your prefferances and why?

If you have a adjustable focus light what setting do you normally use and how often do you adjust it? If you could only have one setting what would it be.

I can tell you what I don't like, wide flood like beams without the power to sufficiently light my target. I know what I want to look at/for and without enough power to light everything, I would prefer to focus the light on my target. Of course I have only used small underpowered lamps.
Now if I was able to enjoy the crystal clear waters that some of you have, this may be another matter altogether.

Is it possible to have 2 sets of LEDS in the same head to allow you to change the output from narrow to wide?

Hi Greendiver,

Yes, it is possible to have different focusses in the same LED head, providing you are using more than one LED.

For example, a Terralux TLE-300M head uses 3 Cree XR-E's. They all come with tight 8degree lenses. If you want to replace one or more (or all) of the lenses with wider angles then it's as simple as sourcing the lenses and unscrewing the front facia.

The Terralux fits into a Maglite head, commonly used in DIY underwater torches. It runs at 12watts and gives 500lumens of white light (roughly equivalent to a 10W HID).

Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about.

That said, personally, my advice would be always to go tighter beams given underwater particulate will always scatter the light for you.

Mac

Attachments

• lenses.jpg
    lenses.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 32
  • size comparison.jpg
    size comparison.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 29
It is hard to imagine where a wide beam would be that much better than a tightly focused beam unless the conditions are crystal clear. Such as a swimming pool!

To be starting my first DIY lamp it will have 3 or 4 LEDS but they will all be focused the same simply because I'll wait for the more advanced stuff later. Mbsub, that stuff looks great! However, not much of a DIY project.

Mbsub,

Those twin LED's look the business but you might like to pay off the Goodman style handle as it is dated technology.

If you want true hands-free lighting why not try a wetsuit material type light holder. Easy on and off and all fingers free at all times.

See attached pictures of a couple of wrist rigs

Happy diving

Mac

Attachments

• IMGP4071.jpg
    IMGP4071.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP4234.JPG
    IMGP4234.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 39
My Can light head just moves the LED/reflector back into the hood to focus the beam tighter, why would you need 2 sets of lights? Just add a focus capability to the existing head.

@ Mikerault

If you change the focus from spot to a wider beam you lost brightness , because the sended light will be dispensed to a bigger area. Also you get the donut-effect.
We use the 2 LEDs to add the lightpower from the second LED with medium-reflector to balance the lost of brightness.
BTW the TWINLED head exist also in a version with 2 spot reflectors.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom