Beautiful day. SE winds. Dead Calm. PORT CLOSED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would have me livid. Was in Coz over thanksgiving, the weather was perfect and there were no closures, but reading about this stuff constantly is frustrating. I think I'm about finished heading down there, but it's so cheap and close for me that it will be hard to give up. My biggest complaint these days is the non-stop harassment from quite literally every single person that you pass walking by. Used to be if you got off the the main couple of roads you were ok, but these days, you can't walk 20 ft w/o being bothered about scooter/car rentals, mota/coca/sister, highest quality junk, free tequila, etc........I've always been polite and realize folks are just trying to make a living from the cruise ship zombies, but this last trip might have pushed me over the edge. It's just so exhausting. Add to it the fact that the week before and the week after we were there, there were questionable port closures, I'm just not sure how much longer I'm willing to gamble with my ever so precious vacation time away from work.

Yeah. We were tied up at a pier for our SA and what comes walking down the pier to the dive boats? Some Mexican official and 3-4 Mexican military personnel in full combat gear gripping their M-16’s. A first time tourist would have thought a military coup was underway. We were ordered to depart the pier and return to the marina. If I want to see military exercises I’ll go to an air show in the states... No need to spend $1000’s on a vacation to watch the Mexican Navy patrol the marine park.

The Socorro liveaboards are routinely boarded by the Mexican Navy/Marines toting M16's when you 'check in' there. They round up all the divers and quarantine them on the topside bow deck while they go below and check 'papers' and search/inspect whatever.

The only other explanation for what transpired today would be the military received word of a possible threat to the cruise ships, shut down all small boat traffic and went out cruising back and forth, up and down the park putting on their one boat “display of force” for all to see. Not that they would ever make such a threat public knowledge here at world cruise central terrifying the 30,000 cruise passengers here today and perhaps jeopardizing plans for yet another cruise pier.

I mean, when the ferry was bombed the official word for a week was a fuel explosion or something. Diesel fuel does not explode unless it’s mixed with fertilizer!

I have a very strong suspicion that we will be getting a new Port Captain in the not so distant future

I have a very strong suspicion that we will be getting a new Port Captain in the not so distant future

Make sure his resume includes 'current active frequent scuba diver' so he might actually 'get it'!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom