Beaver Lake, 1st Water Moccasin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWA395

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Great weekend diving the lake. The water continues to warm up slightly. The lake is above full pool and according to the COE Ranger was classified as flood stage on Sat. Lots of campsites under water and the flood gates on the dam were wide open all weekend.

Dove Dam Site North (Bluffs) both Sat 5/30 and Sun5/31, Water temp in the shallows were 72 degrees and still in the 40's deep.

This mornings dive(5/31) dive was along the bluffs. As we worked our way around the bluffs at about 68 feet (50 degrees), after about 25 min it was feeling a little chilly. We had turned the dive and level off at about 40' as we worked our way back. Started seeing a lot of fish between 35 and 40' ranging from stripers, bass, carp and the sunfish.

At about 35' I notice movement between the rocks below. I get a closer look from about 2' away and get quite the surprise. A water moccasin about 4' long and very well fed, working its way between the rocks. He was not shy, but was not aggressive and at one point I thought he (the snake) was becoming inquisitive. I signaled my buddy to come take a closer, who using proper hand signals, declined and communicated his opinion of my request. We watched it for about a minute and them we decided to move on.

It was not the fact that seeing a water moccasin was disturbing, it was the fact that he was at 35' that kind of blew my mind. Just never thought they went that deep.

Back
Top Bottom