Beaver Lake, Ar.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tgood

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are newly certified divers and new to the board. We will be going to Beaver Lake the first week of August. Any information such as locations to dive, visability, and conditions would be greatly appreciated.

tgood:
My wife and I are newly certified divers and new to the board. We will be going to Beaver Lake the first week of August. Any information such as locations to dive, visability, and conditions would be greatly appreciated.

See you down there, I will be leading an open water checkout the weekend of Aug 6 & 7th by the dam. Come by and say Hey. We will be at the day camp area Saturday a.m. near the dam.

Check the following websites:
http://www.lostbridgemarina.com/
http://candjsports.com/

Lots of good dive sites, good visability, nice temps, depends whether you have boat or not and which part of the lake you are visiting. Search the board, there are lots of suggestions. Have a great time. Welcome to the board and to diving.

go to www.midwestdive.com there is a whole forum on Beaver Lake. As far as visibility, it is fairly good right now, the thermocline is at about 24', and amazingly milky (or it was that way two weekends ago anyway). If you are going to Lost Bridge Marina, or any marina for that matter, then they have maps of things that are of interest underwater. There is Reynolds Foundation that is of interest, however it was in only 6' of water when I was there last. They have a sunken bus there and small boat. There is a line off of the foundation that will help you find both. If you are shore diving however, the dam is your best bet, but there are plenty of others that can give you more info on midwest muck divers than I can as I have only dove from a boat.

MO Diver and Kent 1848 thanks for the info. We look forward to the trip at Beaver, we are staying at the IndianCreek Camp ground. We will try to come by on the 6th and 7th and say hello.

My son and I went there just after certification and knocked out 5 dives in the weekend. (Just this past May) We rented 4 tanks (2 each) so that we could do 2 dives in the morning, then go get refills and do 2 dives in the afternoon. We followed up with one dive the following morning. C & J Sports is a dive shop just south of the dam and they gave us great directions to find the Dam Bluffs (which are hard to find if you haven't been there) and it was a great dive site. There are a series of concrete statues (pig, deer, eagle, seahorse, etc) around 35-40 feet along the slope so it makes it interesting to see how many you can find. We missed all but one on the first two dives and then found a bunch of them later. There are also a few submerged speedboats nearby and we found one of them but the conditions in that area were not very good. C & J can give good directions on recommended dive spots. The entry/exit is easy there although its popular with OW student classes.
We found that by getting 5 dives in a weekend, we greatly increased our comfort and confidence levels. Have fun

Reynolds Foundation WAS about 6' deep two weekends ago - the water table has dropped considerably over the summer. Still great diving though. The wig and cheap skull no longer adorns the top of the bus, but there IS a freshly sunk sailboat hull to explore nearby (NNW of the bus) and its long. Enjoy - Beaver Lake's a fun location with lots to do there. I'll be back the weekend of 12-14 August myself.

We are back from our trip to Beaver lake. In all we were there a week and a half. My wife and I were able to get 15 dives in and had a great time. I want to thank everyone who gave us information about the lake. C and J sports was great, not only were we able to get air fills from them they gave us great advice as where to dive. We dove the Dam site bluff several times and found many of the statues. We also dove in the Indian Creek area and at the old foundation and school bus. The foundation was only about four feet deep. We were told that the lake will keep dropping and could drop as much as another 10 feet. I hope with all the rain this last week that it has stopped dropping. Beaver Lake in Arkansas is a great lake to dive in.

Thought you all might like some pictures of the Foundation with the water this low that a friend took from his airplane last weekend.

Must have been on Sunday the 21st - that's Fred's pontoon dive boat. I'll make sure he sees these.

Looks like you can just see the outline of the newly sunk sailboat in the first photo.

Very cool! Thanks, Bill.

Back
Top Bottom