Becoming a Certified Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I realize I’m still very new to the sport (only 20 or so dives) and I know I have a LOT to learn and experience (20 dives planned this month… ;-))…. And while I’ve already taken my AOW course, I do NOT plan to rush the rest of my training. I plan to complete about 50 more dives and then complete the rescue course… after which, I plan to pursue either Divemaster or instructor certification. Again, I don’t plan to rush… it’s a long-term goal.

Now my question… seems like many people hope to become instructors… how’s the market and are there major deterrents (e.g., liability, insurance)? I don’t plan to quit my day job any time soon (not for a few years anyway) but I would like to teach courses part time (i.e., nights/weekends).

Other than the training information directly from the certifying agencies, is there a good resource for gathering information pertaining to becoming a certified instructor? Any general advice?

Thanks…

Take your time. Do all the requirements and dive in different environments and different conditions. Become a Divemaster and work as one for a year or so. I've learned more as a DM then any other point in my diving life. The more students you work with the better you will be as an instructor.

As far as working, talk to the shops in your area. Find out if they need instructors or DM's. There is work out there but most instructors I know make about enough to break even on their expenses including; gear, insurance, dues and other misc. stuff. Damn few make a living wage at it.

For information talk to some instructors. Becoming an instructor does also cost money. For PADI the IDC/IE plus books and other materials can cost well over $2000 and you will have to teach a lot of students to make that back. Add on to that the annual cost of insurance and dues and you will have to work hard to break even.

I don't mean to discourage you but just give you the facts. My best advice is take your time, dive a lot and spend some time being a DM and AI before making the leap to instructor.

Uhm ... thats a wonderful costume Scottri. Neoprene?

regards

chester:
Now my question… seems like many people hope to become instructors… how’s the market and are there major deterrents (e.g., liability, insurance)? I don’t plan to quit my day job any time soon (not for a few years anyway) but I would like to teach courses part time (i.e., nights/weekends).

Seems to me most instructors that get by own either a shop or an op. The rest gets working holidays.

regards

I agree... take your time and, by all means, don't feel pressured by either the LDS or your fellow divers to rush into anything too quickly. Don't let peer pressure or the thought of keeping pace with your buddies force you into doing anything you are not ready for. As a DM in no hurry to be an instructor, I fully expect that I will some day be DMing for some of today's students who will go on to become instructors.

What would you like to do as an instructor? stay in the Atlanta area and work for a shop full or part-time or start your own? Be an independant instructor just making money on the side? or would you like to move to a dive destination and become a dive instructor there, some dive destinaitions focus on hiring only locals and only require a DM's cert. others will hire from the outside and require at least an assistant instructor cert. to work for them.

There are many options and thinking about what do to before you drop all that time and MONEY, (and it does take a lot of both), into it should also be a priority.

I'm glad to hear you are taking your time, I know so many divers that have gotten all caught up in the hype and gone up to DM'S or instructors in a very short time and really are doing nothing with it, it's more of just a bragging right. I really don't see the point, they are still just strapping on equipment and getting wet just like me.

I've been a diver for 25 years and still just a PADI OW Diver. Experience has worked better in my favor than a new piece of paper.

Best wishes and happy diving!

IMHO diving is a hobby. Even as an Instructor and particuarly as a LDS owner, if you try to make a living you will likely ruin your hobby.

No it's a nice 16oz fleece custom made. Some folks at the shop had it made as a joke never thinking I would actualy wear it but I called their bluff and I wear it all the time :)

sharky60:
What would you like to do as an instructor? stay in the Atlanta area and work for a shop full or part-time or start your own? Be an independant instructor just making money on the side? or would you like to move to a dive destination and become a dive instructor there, some dive destinaitions focus on hiring only locals and only require a DM's cert. others will hire from the outside and require at least an assistant instructor cert. to work for them.

There are many options and thinking about what do to before you drop all that time and MONEY, (and it does take a lot of both), into it should also be a priority.

I'm glad to hear you are taking your time, I know so many divers that have gotten all caught up in the hype and gone up to DM'S or instructors in a very short time and really are doing nothing with it, it's more of just a bragging right. I really don't see the point, they are still just strapping on equipment and getting wet just like me.

I've been a diver for 25 years and still just a PADI OW Diver. Experience has worked better in my favor than a new piece of paper.

Best wishes and happy diving!

First, thank to all who took the time to respond - I appreciate you sharing your thoughts... yeah, I know potentially owning a LDS is the way to go - that's one reason I've been reluctant to approach the shop I use... they're nice people and I appreciate their help but don't want them to think of me as potentially future competition... may seem silly but I don't really know them well enough, yet, imo.

As for where... who knows? I'd be open to almost anything... having travelled quite a bit, I might be able to see myself retiring to USVI, Hawaii, or even Aruba one day.

But until then, I would consider working in a shop part time (couldn't/wouldn't quit my full time job)... I know that could be good experience and I know I've still got a lot to learn. I guess ideally, I'd like to work in a shop teach part time and teach some classes. If that wouldn't work, then I'd like to be an independent instructor. All the while, hoping to open my own shop one day (but would be ok if that never happened).

I'm guess I'm really just wondering if the job market is tough to break into - particularly in Atlanta... for example are there 2 positions for every 50 or more instructors?

As in most jobs, people with knowlege and a passion for what they do always have job openings. I did it for the working extended holiday aspect. Couple three months someplace warm that I could not afford to stay for more than a couple of weeks I can now go to for several months if I choose. Also, add as much to your resume that will boost you above the rest. Equipment repair, boat time, compresor repair and that sort of thing will help a lot to land a job or get your foot in the door. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom