Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive dry so needed to get my weighting with thick undies I nearly always dive.

We (wife and I), just did our first post certification dives out here in SoCal. 100ft to the sand wreck we know very well and that has mooring balls/lines. Buoyancy in my 7mm was still sporty, wife in her dry suit was likewise. Nothing dangerous but still far from the precise buoyancy control we had OC, PPO2 was spot on the whole dive. It’ll get better but get a sinking sensation it’ll take a while. I’ll probably hop into my drysuit soon, but wanted to minimize the variables between training and “real” diving.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the journey!

Yes, I expect that as well.

It’s also rather strange being backmount again after two years diving SM exclusively. I have to rerig the 40 I’m using for dilout for class using bigger bolt snaps. That will make it easier to handle.

On dinner break before pool session.

I got the Petrel 3! Didn’t even know it was available in the 4 pin version yet. That was a nice surprise! I noticed the AI settings when scrolling through set up menu so I was thrilled!

View attachment 744337View attachment 744338
Paint me jealous. I just don't dive enough to justify RB.

Spent the evening tweaking.

Added a handle to the top of my Spirit’s backplate/frame. Much easier to handle on land with it.

Ordered some trim pockets from Subgravity for shoulders and scrubber cam bands. They’ll be here tomorrow. Currently there’s hard weight woven into the webbing. I need a lot of lead and having lead on the unit makes it difficult to move on land. Same with my SM rig - I take the weight out when not diving.

We use a single 40 for training. Redid the rigging so valve opening is down (same as when I dive OC SM). That way I can use the fifth port for drysuit inflator and hose routing is much neater. Discovered SPG was stuck at 1K. Pitched it and took a transmitter off my SM regs. It goes to the Perdix I wear on right arm, same with O2 reg transmitter.

Today was much better than last Sunday. Unit breathes much better at 60ft rather than 35! 😂 Instructor said the ADV breathes like a bad rental reg. 🤣 I never had a bad rental reg (only rented a few times and had my own gear from the beginning). Managed to flood my unit when I got discombobulated during a skill and forgot to close the loop. Oops! Get to dry everything out tonight. Lot of water in my counterlung. Sorb totally soaked. We were at the end of the dive anyway and I had bailed out.

I’ve used the Comfobite knockoffs from DGX for several years. Put one on my rebreather right away. I have an extremely strong gag reflex and dentist visits are miserable. Well, I was gagging a lot when doing pre-dive tests. Plus the mouthpiece was rubbing my gum badly in one spot in front. Instructor swears by the genuine thing, but said to go with what I had and see how it worked out.

I was at the shop by work getting my BO tank filled this week and noticed they had a bin of the genuine made in France AL Comfobites. I got one. Massive difference today. No gagging during pre-dive tests. My gum didn’t get rubbed at all. Best $13 I’ve spent in a while.

Diving tomorrow, too.

Per instructor, I am doing quite well on PO2 management. The important stuff. 😉

Very funny story! We were at the 60ft platform (Bluegill Alley) and a couple of recreational divers (single tank in wetsuits) came WALKING DOWN the slope. The silt cloud was incredible. Instructor and I were laughing our asses off through our loops. WTF?

Very funny story! We were at the 60ft platform (Bluegill Alley) and a couple of recreational divers (single tank in wetsuits) came WALKING DOWN the slope. The silt cloud was incredible. Instructor and I were laughing our asses off through our loops. WTF?

Don't worry I'm sure they were PADI master scuba divers! Or working on the elusive PADI silt stirrer certification lol

Today was totally challenging and stressful. Hopefully next weekend is better. I was beat. 4.5 hours total underwater this weekend and I had a hard time getting my brain 100% into it.

Two local guys were tagging along. One rebreather, one not. After seeing the horrid first dive I had this morning, the open circuit guy thought he would be Mr Funny. Asked me how much I wanted for my rebreather. Said he didn’t want to wait for months like I had. I could have hit the prick. I told him to his face to eff off multiple times. He said it was just a joke but after the difficult dives today, I was not in the mood to joke about this.

Should have told him $20k, half up front; delivery and remaining balance upon receipt of your replacement unit. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom