Been Diving for awhile - Now experiencing panic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teresak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This may seem like a very strange situation, but I'm looking for HELP! I've spent most of my life in water. My childhood was spent ALL day long in pools, I was on swim team throughout high school, certified scuba diver. Recently, when scuba diving (we don't dive often - maybe 2-3 times a year) I have experienced a panicky feeling when diving. It feels like not enough air is coming through the regulator and I feel like I'm gasping for breath. Have had to call two dives short due to panic while diving with a divemaster. I'm wondering if there are regulators where the breathing isn't so difficult? (I know...it sounds stupid...) We dove with great whites in Guadalupe last year, using hooka, and I didn't have a problem at all. We are scheduled for a dive trip to Cozumel in September (with about 8 people in our party) and I don't want to be the "panicky diver that ruins everyone's dives" this trip. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

tons of regulators out there with low work of breathing. while I'm not a doctor, I would suspect there is something more deeply rooted that is causing you the anxiety and it is manifesting as feeling like you aren't getting enough air

were those regs rented or were they your own? If rented you may want to consider purchasing because there is a possibility it was causing it but again, it is pretty unlikely

Hmmm...yes, thought of that. Maybe need to see a shrink? And, yes, always rented equipment. Both times I had issues was in Catalina. 3 dives - second dive was fine (all different equipment.) I would like to purchase my own regulator, but wondering if there's one that would be better than others as far as easy breathing? Or adjustable maybe? Don't know much about it, other than I LOVE being under the water, and HATE this "new problem."

Could it be due to the valve setting on your 2nd stage regulator being too tight?

I sent mine for the annual service before a trip.
During a checkout dive of the trip, I had a similar panic situation, where I had to inhale really hard to get the air through the regulator as if I was running out of air. The SPG showed 3000 psig & the tank valve was in fully open position. I then started to mess around with any button around the second stage regulator to let more air through and learnt it on the fly that there is a dial button on the left side of my Scobapro S600 (the opposite end of the hose) that I can adjust to release more air to the mouthpiece (reducing pressure drop across the regulator). Once I figured that out, I was able to breathe easily & calm myself down. Apparently the technician had crancked the regulator dial setting way down to nothing before giving it back to me. Hopefully that is similar case for you.

I usually just depend on our divemaster to "set everything up" for me. That's why I'd like to purchase my own, and get really familiar with it (BEFORE I'm underwater!) Good to know there might be settings that may have caused the "lack of air" sensation. I felt like a complete dope, but when you can't breath, sometimes panic sets in. (In my defense, both times I had issues, the water was very cold and there were some bad currents we were dealing with. So, the lack of air added to the "fun.") Thanks for the info!

Stupid question. Was the nose of your mask flooded?

I was very much like you. Proper sea baby and loved swimming and freediving long before I started scuba.

As a result I had a strong nasel reflex. Basically when you get water in your nose you find it hard to breathe as your body is telling you not too. I can remember descending on a dive and mask was a little filled with water. I thought the regulator wasn't working.

I would suggest working on mask removal and clearing. It won't hurt even if it doesn't cure the problem.

Ah...good idea! Yes, I actually bought a new mask and had some issues with it filling. I didn't know about nasal reflex. I'll definitely have to look into this! Thanks!

Last edited:
My wife is an experienced diver (more than 150 dives in the last four years) and sometimes feels like she can't get enough air. She attributes this to a tight fitting BCD and is getting ready to try a backpack.

Another possibility, based on my own experience. How much did you exert yourself during the dive? Rights after ruling certification, I enjoyed myself a lot under water, and thinking / knowing that I'm physically fit, I was swimming around like a maniac. Check this out, gomover there, chase this fish, outswim that guy. And predictably the reg could not keep up, CO2 retention ensued, and it was not pretty. I was able to calm down, and eventually these experiences (more than one, I hate to say) led to a change in my diving habits. I'm now fine with just enjoying myself in just hanging there and not doing anything, just watching and leisurely finning when I want to go somewhere.

If looking to get your own gear, look for a balanced regulator. It will help at depth and when pressure in tank gets lower. Mr OOO used to get nervous on rental regs until he got his own. All better now.

If you are getting true panic attacks which are physiological responses, that is a whole other issue that you will want to speak to your doctor about.

Back
Top Bottom