Been to Bonaire 10 times but this trip got some stuff stolen..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been there multiple times and have spent over 4 weeks there..add me to the list of people with no troubles at all?

I know its been suggested before... but why not a simple stake out or quick sting operation? A few of these over the course of a few months and the word would get out? Seems like a small price to pay for all the negative publicity Bon gets? Im sure there would even be some volunteers to help with this?

Its a shame but wont stop me from returning!

Just back as well and we had no problems (Delta is another story!) with theft. Rented a truck from AB with full insurance. They told us with full insurance we HAD to lock the truck. That's what the carrier required. So we were told to leave the glovebox open, nothing inside and lock the doors. If the window was broken we were to file a police report. Happy to say no problems and a wonderful week!

Hi All,

We had our meeting with the police chief this past week and I will be posting the minutes/results of this meeting soon. I think that you will see that change will be happening.

Liz

Liz - Just to confirm, will you be posting this info on SB? I am very curious as to what they have in mind.

Just returned from Bonaire, 2 weeks stay from June 7 to the 21st. This was our 5th trip in 2 years.
We have dove up and down the coast of Bonaire leaving our truck wide open, not locked, windows wide open. Never had a problem. Even the large buckets we kept in the back of the truck that held our gear was never taken. We left the truck open at the hotel Maybe we're just lucky.
The only thing we did was hide our car keys under a rock.
Sorry to hear about your lost, but you would be better off leaving things out of the truck, finding a hiding place.
Barb & Rick

Seems it would be very easy for them to video or steak out these dive spots if they really wanted to take action. They seem quite fearless doing this in the broad daylight, and I assume at a wide-open beach?

I think leaving the windows down, and everything open would be the best bet.. As long as you don't have anything left in the vehicle.

My new business venture:

H2ODoc's Bonairian Bear Rental
Price list:
- Small bear: $20/day
- Large bear: $30/day
- Grizzly bear: $45/day
*damage waiver: $500/day

Guaranteed to prevent truck rental thefts in Bonaire or your money back!
(not responsible for bears' tendency to attack renters)

bearincar.jpg

If you stay somewhat central on the island Bonaire is small enough you really don't need to take much of anything with you to a dive site. In 10 mintues after a dive you can be back to to your room.
I put money, keys, watch, etc. in one of these:
Aquapac Mini Whanganui - 644
Have had these down to 100' and not a drop inside.
I also got one of these cheap mesh bags to use as a gear bag:
Mesh Bags
Nothing was taken from our truck although a few times a couple was casing our dive site and they probably went through our stuff while we were diving.

I work Law enforcement, and yes it would be rather easy to address these vehicle thefts on Bonaire.
I would be happy to come work in Bonaire for a few months and all you would have to do is pay me with dives.

Hi All,

We had our meeting with the police chief this past week and I will be posting the minutes/results of this meeting soon. I think that you will see that change will be happening.

Liz

This is a great start Liz! Thank you for taking the time to make a change. Just a few arrests and civil fines for the damages will take all the fun out of breaking car windows for someone's lunch.

Tourism is down this year and next year does not look any better, Bonaire needs some good press.

I always leave the truck open with nothing to steal, and take my glasses and the keys with me. Glasses in a hard case, and they do OK, but the key rings don't fare so well in salt water, but that is NOT my problem. I figure replacing keys and key rings is a part of the agency's and resort's cost of doing business there.

Looking forward to your update Liz, as we will be there again in 25 days, and are following all this with renewed interest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom