Before & After

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
Got very lucky this year as we found a wreck that doesn't get dived on to often.
I'll be posting some before and after pics for the next few weeks.

Attachments

• before 2.jpg
    before 2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 353
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 388
Wow, excellent clean-up job! Nice find.

Damned sweet find! You don't have to divulge exact location or wreck name (I know I wouldn't:eyebrow: ), but whereabouts did you find it? What technique did you use to clean it up?

octotat:
Damned sweet find! You don't have to divulge exact location or wreck name (I know I wouldn't:eyebrow: ), but whereabouts did you find it? What technique did you use to clean it up?

You're right, I can't tell you much.
I can tell you we found it off Block Island, R.I. and it is a steel wreck. I went through a lot of hack saw blades getting this thing. It took three dives to get it. I took three hacksaws plus other tools down on the last two dives. As soon as one saw got a little dull out came the next.
I have more stuff I will be posting.
To clean bronze and bottles I find I soak them in vinegar for at least a week. For the bronze I get out the roto tool with a 1/4 inch chuck, stick a wire wheel in it and get busy. It is a dirty and smelly business but I love every minute of it.

This may not be any new information, but hey it's free! Try doing your "final" polish on bronze with some good hot sauce...maby tabasco or the likes works real well. No need to buff just put a drop on there and let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe it off, if you want to see what i mean. cheers and happy hunting.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but can you use electrolysis on bronze? Or does that only work on steel?

Here's another find.
Long thin dents were there when I found it. Apparently a previous
recovery attempt.
Anyone have any ideas about the foundry mark on the base?

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-2.psd
    194.6 KB · Views: 110
  • support after6.jpg
    support after6.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 257
  • before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 252
WesTexDiver:
This may not be any new information, but hey it's free! Try doing your "final" polish on bronze with some good hot sauce...maby tabasco or the likes works real well. No need to buff just put a drop on there and let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe it off, if you want to see what i mean. cheers and happy hunting.

I'll try anything once!

Diver Dude:
Here's another find.
Long thin dents were there when I found it. Apparently a previous
recovery attempt.
Anyone have any ideas about the foundry mark on the base?

Full, intact bottles of Pale Ale, now THAT'S a great find :wink:

Back
Top Bottom