Before & After

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Mike!
Never thought of this being related to a scupper but it is very possible.
Any idea of what the "through deck support" I posted earlier might have been used for? It is hard to tell from the pictures but, the barrel portion of the support is not perpendicular to the square base. It is cocked about 10 degrees. As mentioned before there are remnants of wood in it. The hole is 3 1/8' diameter.
I have a picture of the vessel if it would help.

This item is my best find. It was not found on the same wreck as the other items I have posted so far.
This thing was caked with northern coral.

Attachments

• lastscan2.jpg
    lastscan2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 117
I would have identified the oval shaped ring as a chaffing ring used in the bulwarks to prevent rope and wood wear when your vessel was secured. A scupper is a deck drain that is lead overboard usually by a pipe and the hull penetration would be round in profile. The hawse pipe is for anchor chain or rope and would also be round in profile and would leave the vessel at the bow also below the bulwarks, where was the ring located?

The through deck penetration could be a mast support canted back for support purposes ie guy wires. Where was it located? Could be a sounding pipe deck penetration and the wood remains are from the bung that was used to plug the hole. The letters may be for tank identification? or for deck location?

Picture of the wreck would be nice.

Thanks for the info, Horn.
I believe I have the anchor chain pipe. It is heavy, bronze, and oval . There are two frames, bolted together, sandwiching the hull. The picture is coming up.

Can you post a pic of the wreck and identify where some of the brass was located?

What type of vessel was it?

The Horn:
Can you post a pic of the wreck and identify where some of the brass was located?

What type of vessel was it?

I have a picture but I really don't want to post it. Its not a good picture anyway.

Back
Top Bottom