Before and After - Photoshop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently was given a brief "how to" for auto correction... I have been fiddling with the settings individually and never tried the "auto" options.. go figure..

Here are examples of before and after.... Next question..

Why is the "fixed" photo much larger in size?

Thanks for the feedback / comments.

countryboy:
Recently was given a brief "how to" for auto correction... I have been fiddling with the settings individually and never tried the "auto" options.. go figure..

Here are examples of before and after.... Next question..

Thanks for the feedback / comments.

My guess on the file size is that with the fix you have increased the pallet size. i.e. number of different colors. Just a guess though.

after you balanced your photo how did you saved your file? i assumed your digital photo come in as .jpeg, if you saved your finished photo said as .tif or .eps and yes this will increase your file sizes.

There is a good freeware utility called Irfranview 3.97 that has excellent
compression for jpg images. Download it and use the resize-resample function
and you can select the settings to reduce file size for e-mail or posting to the
web.

Don't know which version of PS you are using but in CS when you save a jpeg a box come up where you can change the compression. The default on mine seems to be 8 and high res. You can change these and it will reduce file size. I use a program called ACDSee to batch rename and resize my images. You can do this before or after PS. The software is great I haven't found anything I like as well for viewing or resize/ renaming pics.

countryboy:

The bigger file size is mainly due to your quality settings and the way jpeg compression works. When you save, you can change the "quality" setting--this has a giant impact on file size. (On a side note, why is the scale 0-12 rather than 0-10?) Also, even if you keep the quality setting the same, changes you've made using levels and sharpening will add additional info that jpeg will have to save. For example, a picture of a blank white wall will result in a much smaller file than a picture of a busy, colorful reef.

Thanks for the info... I understand the compression tech stuff.. just wondered why if I open / save a file it is one size.. but if I open, edit then save (all other things the same like compression) the edited pic is larger in byte size (not image size)..

I think Charlie99 hit it on the head...

countryboy:

Here are examples of before and after....

I've never been a fan of Photoshop's auto correction functions. The picture looks great but it still has a serious blue cast to it. Have you tried playing with the eyedropper tools in levels? That would be a really quick way to get the color balance back on track.

Another wonderful tool if you are shooting digital is to shoot in raw mode. JPG's are great for quick shots but if you are going for a high quality image, 16 bit raw is the only way to go.

Shark bait.

Back
Top Bottom