Beginner diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're asking about the feasibility of waiting until you arrive in Cozumel to book your diving, I think that's risky. Most people book in advance to ensure the dive op will have space for them. Moreover, since ideally you would like them to put you on a boat with other beginners, they may need time to plan for that. Book in advance.

If you look through the posts where others have asked for dive op recommendations, you will see there are four or five dive ops that people on SB seem to recommend over and over. You can't go wrong with any of those. (That doesn't mean that others are not as good; rather, that the same names pop up here again and again is probably due to what some people have referred to as the "echo chamber effect" of an Internet forum, whether SB, Tripadvisor or any other.)

Any of those often-recommended dive ops will be glad to cater to your beginner level if you make sure they are aware. So, when making your initial inquiry with them, be sure to tell them you are a beginner. Ask if they group divers by level. When you arrive in Cozumel and check in with the dive op, make sure to tell them again. When you get on the boat and are introduced to the divemaster, it doesn't hurt to remind the divemaster. They will generally do everything they can to ensure you go to dive sites that are appropriate for your level. You don't have to dictate dive sites by name to them--trust that they know what sites will suit your level. Don't worry!

Lastly, I highly recommend you tell the dive op you would like to hire a private divemaster. It is common for beginners to hire a private divemaster. Not only will you have a dedicated buddy, but the divemaster will be sure to point out cool stuff to you during the dive.

Have fun!

blue xt sea
blue angel
aldora
scuba tony
blue magic

I have seen these 5 show up a few times am I on the right track?

Staying in a airbandb closer to the airport

Then limit your search to dive ops that offer free transport from town to and from their boats or offer boat pick-up at one of the in-town docks. Tres Pelicanos offers courtesy transport to and from their boats that leaves from their shop in town at 7:40AM. Others here can comment on their preferred dive ops and whether they offer courtesy transport from in-town or if they pick up at an in-town dock. You'll probably need to grab a cab to town from close to the airport unless you want to start walking early but that should be a cheap cab fare each way. About $2-3 I think.

Plenty to choose from...do your homework like hitting the search button up top. You may want to hire your own DM for the first few dives.....most dive ops have predetermined dive sites ahead of time. Sometimes, depending on the boat, last minute consensus changes can occur.

I haven't been diving with most dive ops, not by a long shot, but with the shops I've been diving with, the sites are not usually predetermined, though I think that occurs at many of the All Inclusive resorts. What I've experienced, and others have commented about over the years, is that it's really common for the DM to ask where you'd like to go. The only times I've known where we're going at boarding is when it's an advanced dive, like Barracuda, San Juan, Maracaibo, Devil's Throat, etc.

Private DM for the first few dives is a great idea.

You missed Tres Pelicanos!!! LOL

Absolutely. Also, although I haven't used them, is Dive With Martin still among this "list"?

Staying in a airbandb closer to the airport
I am not familiar with this area but as said it looks like it will mean a taxi ride whichever dive op you choose.

If you decide not to hire your own DM then consider a dive op that offers close supervision and multiple boats so that they will be able to match your needs. Aldora may be a good choice. Not my preference but my experience with them is that the guides are especially adapt at managing new divers. I have seen them literally hold hands throughout a dive with newish divers in current to help them maintain control. If this happens, please tip well. The other factor is that Aldora’s policy is for all divers to ascend together. For some divers this is a negative but for you as a newish divers and a new diver to Cozumel this would be preferable.

As to sites, do a night dive on Paradise reef.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Also, although I haven't used them, is Dive With Martin still among this "list"?

Yes, I personally consider DWM on the list. I haven't been diving with them personally but a friend of mine who has been diving the island for 25+ years loves them. He's a highly skilled/experienced diver who's been more places than I can count so if DWM is good enough for him I'd say they are in the top 10. My problem with them is the too far south and too early pick-up at their northernmost pick-up point. That scratched DWM from my list to try as I like to stay in-town and enjoy a somewhat leisurely breakfast. For those staying at points south and (God forbid those AI's where my friend likes to stay) DWM is certainly on the list to check out.

What ever happened to that top 10 list formulated a few years ago in that one thread that went on, and on, and on... and on some more? Found it! If I recall it was put it in alphabetical order so no one could argue about placement of their preferred dive op in the list.

Aldora
Blue Angel
Blue Magic
Blue XT Sea
Bottom Time Divers
Dive with Allison
Dive with Martin
Liquid Blue
Living Underwater
Tres Pelicanos

Last edited:
I am coming to Coz beginning of March. I know you have been asked to give recommendations before on dive ops, but I am interested to know who would be best to look into for a beginner solo diver, I need someone patient and laid back(I don't like being rushed) and safety minded (I have 8 dives, Adventure diver) I am comfortable with buoyancy but I am not a strong swimmer (I can swim long distances but I am very slow) . I have heard good things Palancar reef, is there any other dives I should look to going on or avoid? My last question is in March can I book when I arrive or will every single good place be sold out? I like meeting the dive ops before I book, but I don't know how busy it is in March.

Thanks for your time! :)

Okay. March typically is really busy. I see you are staying close to the airport? Aldora divers has a place right on the water, Villa Aldora, where the airplanes fly right past the Villa. Its really close to the end of the runway. Its great place with pier to load divers (weather permitting). Aldora has eight "six pack" boats so as to get like skilled divers as a group on a boat together. Check with Jorge at the shop (Mexican Number) and I'm sure he will do his best to get you on a boat from the Villa, even if you are not staying there. As a customer of Aldora you will be able to use the Palapa, pool, freshwater shower, bathroom and shore dive at the Villa. Like I said though. March is really busy and they may be booked up, but call and check to see.
I dove with them three times last year. I just had my Niece and her friend there to get certified last summer.
Have fun!
ALDORA DIVERS
ALDORA VILLA
Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...de3e7!8m2!3d20.5258703!4d-86.9414367?hl=en-US

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom