Beginner Gear Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padishep once bubbled...
This is one sport where looks and opinions mean nothing.

This opinion, however, may be priceless!

Used gear isn't a problem at all- if you know what you want and what to look for when buying used gear. A used regulator is okay to buy used, but have it checked out by your LDS. If it's been maintained and serviced- it will serve you well.

I shop near me has a big sale and sells off all the "old" rental gear they replace that year. It's a year or two old and the shop took good care of it. But becareful. Buying used gear is a lot like buying a used car -- a fresh coat of wax and new tires doesn't tell you anything about what's under the hood.

Cornfed

Where in CT are you located? I'm over in the Bristol area, and there's a few others living in our little state. Check out the NELD forum, if you haven't already done so.

gfisher4792
Bristol heh? About 40 miles from me, New Milford.
Would be nice to meet some local newbies like me.
Going to do my pool dives this weekend. Then I'll
probably be off to Dutch Springs at some point to do open water,
Then I'll be scrounging up gear so I can hit the water!

If the rain ever stops :) At least it's clear today..............

RiverRat once bubbled...
gfisher4792
Bristol heh? About 40 miles from me, New Milford.
Would be nice to meet some local newbies like me.
Going to do my pool dives this weekend. Then I'll
probably be off to Dutch Springs at some point to do open water,
Then I'll be scrounging up gear so I can hit the water!

If the rain ever stops :) At least it's clear today..............

Yeah, don't want to dive in the rain -- it will ruin your gear!

Don't forget to look at Aqualung (US Divers) and Sherwood.
Over the course of 14 years diving, I have owned and used both. I have tried Dacor, ScubaPro, and Mares. Aqualung and Sherwood are my preferences.
BC preferences are Dacor Nautica or Talon, Seaquest Pro QD.

If the shop is pushing $170 split fins just find another shop or a good mentor. As a new diver you need more than a good price, IMO. If it was my shop you were comming into I'd sell you a pair of $70 or $80 fins and teach you to use your feet.

Last weekend at Gilboa my son and I ended up behind a group of divers. All of em were in split fins and kicking like crazy. We were barely moving our feet and more than keeping up. I hope they got a good deal. LOL The online places can't tell you how to do that but I guess your shop can't either. LOL

jbichsel once bubbled...
Don't forget to look at Aqualung (US Divers) and Sherwood.
Over the course of 14 years diving, I have owned and used both. I have tried Dacor, ScubaPro, and Mares. Aqualung and Sherwood are my preferences.
BC preferences are Dacor Nautica or Talon, Seaquest Pro QD.

I'm actually looking at Scubapro and Apeks now, Apeks seems great for cooler water diving, such as up here in my neck of the woods. I definately want a reg that is versatile for cold and warm water. I've also been looking at Zeagle BC's and the SPro Classic.
One local DS pushes Sherwood, are they any good in cold water?
I'll check out Aqualung as well.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If the shop is pushing $170 split fins just find another shop or a good mentor. As a new diver you need more than a good price, IMO. If it was my shop you were comming into I'd sell you a pair of $70 or $80 fins and teach you to use your feet.

Last weekend at Gilboa my son and I ended up behind a group of divers. All of em were in split fins and kicking like crazy. We were barely moving our feet and more than keeping up. I hope they got a good deal. LOL The online places can't tell you how to do that but I guess your shop can't either. LOL

Good point, when I went on a "discover scuba" dive in St. Maarten
I didn't see any split fins (maybe I just didn't notice as it was my 1st dive). Whatever fins I was in worked fine for me, I was just cruising right along. Anyway, I just bought some Scubapro Jet fins, not split, for about $60 online, used by military etc. so I thought if they're good enough for them, they're good enough for me at my level. And another good point, if you don't learn proper technique (in any sport) then you'll fail in any gear. Thanks for the info, this board has been an awesome support tool for me getting into this stuff. You just can't get this much in depth detail when you walk into a local DS, they all want to push what's in stock.

RiverRat once bubbled...

I'm actually looking at Scubapro and Apeks now, Apeks seems great for cooler water diving, such as up here in my neck of the woods. I definately want a reg that is versatile for cold and warm water. I've also been looking at Zeagle BC's and the SPro Classic.
One local DS pushes Sherwood, are they any good in cold water?
I'll check out Aqualung as well.

Sherwood has a model, Blizzard, for cold/ice diving. It also works well under 'normal' conditions. I used my 1990 vintage Sherwood Oasis down to 38 degree water on numerous occasions without any problems.

Aqualung has a "Supreme" variant for each of their reg's that is designed for cold water.

My experiences with Dacor and ScubaPro were about 12 years ago, and at that time they had a somewhat questionable reputation and lots of problems with all the ones I came in contact with. I understand they are much better now.

RiverRat once bubbled...

You just can't get this much in depth detail when you walk into a local DS, they all want to push what's in stock.

Of all the complaints I've heard about dive shops this is the most valid, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom