Beginner questions about my DX1200HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich-D-Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought my DX1200HD. I'm very much the new photographer and my first question is basic;

1. When I take a picture in the 12MP setting (4000x3000), why does the photo upload to my computer as only an approx. 3.5MP file? I am using the Media Impressions software that came with the camera. I just thought the file would be much larger in the 10-12MP range depending on the photo. I took several shots from both far away and macro and they all ended up 3.1-3.6MP when uploaded. I tested at the lower 3MP and the files were all 1MP. Am I doing something wrong or just thinking wrong?

2. I can apply the motion stability feature in Auto mode, however, the camera does not let me apply the motion stability feature with S&S mode. Does S&S automatically have motion stability? I haven't tested in the ocean yet, but I would think it would make sense to use a motion stabilizer underwater. Comments?

Thanks for your patience.

HI Rich-D-Fish,
Thanks for your purchase and your questions.
Here are your answers:
1. The image setting name such as 12MP is the actual pixel size of the image (4000x3000) not the actual file size of the jpg recorded - this is true with all cameras unless you are shooting RAW or TIFF files. Also, you can change the quality of the image data recorded by adjusting Quality setting from Normal, Fine or Super Fine, Super fine being the highest.
2. You are correct SEA&SEA mode does not have image stabilization as this function is only for minor shaking mostly encountered on land. This fucntion does not correct for major motion swings like currents or large movements with waves, tides etc. Also, underwater with controlled buoyancy a camera is more stabilized due to the lack of weight and is typically not prone to smaller shaking that the image stabilizer could correct.
Hope that helps.

To expand on that, it sounds like the camera is correctly recording your pictures at 12 megapixels (MP) - 4000x3000. What you are noticing as approximately "1 to 3.5" is the size of the file, in "megabytes." Depending on the quality and compression used, 3.5 megabytes is normal for a 12 megapixel image. Also, anywhere from 500 kilobytes to 1 megabyte is normal for a 3 megapixel image.

Back
Top Bottom