Being alone at a quarry/Lake Rawlings, Va specific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the typical etiquette when a single diver wants to dive at a quarry? Do most folks figure you can find someone to pair up with easily or at the least dive with a group of other divers already there? Or is it better to find someone before going?

My ex was always my dive partner and now that we divorced I have had to become the insta-buddy on dive boats. Because I always had a buddy with me I don't recall how anyone else handled this little detail at past quarry dives.

Now to Lake Rawlings specifically: I would like to travel there sometime over the next month or so, doing a stop over on an otherwise non-dive related trip. It is of a significant distance from me that just showing up alone is risky unless I know what to expect. Because of the nature of the trip, bringing someone from my local area would not be practical as I will not be returning home directly.

Thought and comments?

Anyone able to recommended a group or local dive message board where I could perhaps coordinate with folks that dive this site regularly?

Just to make this clear I am NOT looking to dive solo. I am looking to find folks once I arrive to dive with.

Last edited:
I was there last week . If you go midweek it will likely be fairly quiet. I know they do allow solo dives with a release, I've seen my instructor there solo, but I believe they want to see a self-reliant c-card, x# of logged dives, and a pony. You'd have to call and check. Worst case, most of the staff are MSDT.

I'm in Richmond about an hour away, and begging for an excuse to get some bottom time if you need a buddy!

hjnebus, I will keep that in mind. Just to make this clear I am NOT looking to dive solo. I am looking to find folks once I arrive to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom