Being pushed into buying gear - Is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W1ngz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm, browsing and comparing dive schools to get started on my OW cert. I've come across a school that has the following text listed under the theory and pool portion of the course. I've left as much text as possible to keep the context. They do elude to rentals being available, but seem to actively discourage it, as though not laying out 2000$-3000$ before even getting into the pool, makes me an undesireable in the diving community. Are things really this elitist, or is this particular shop totally out in left field?

This is a tough topic, because... We don't want to sound too much like we're pushing you to buy dive gear from us. We most certainly hope you will, but... What is more important is that industry statistics are pretty clear on this topic: divers who learn with their own dive gear tend to keep on diving for the rest of their life. Meanwhile, divers who learn with 'rental gear' tend to... Never dive again!
The reason is simple: it's a "different world down there" and if you want to feel comfortable and safe, while having fun, you need scuba gear that is fully adapted to your body and the type of diving you'll be doing. If you "wait to see if you'll like it", you may, precisely, not like it!
Take the time during your 'prep session' to review dive gear with one of our scuba experts. You should have your own dive gear for your first pool session.

*trim out the bla bla about personal gear (fins, boots, mask, snorkel*

As long as you've purchased your fins, booties, mask, snorkel and wetsuit from us, we will help you with the core scuba gear for your pool sessions, until you get your own. We count on you doing so before the end of the course.

I can completely understand that having gear makes you more likely to participate, but this seems to be... well... wth??

It is not very normal and is certainly not right.

Stating that people who learn in rental gear ..... never dive again is total BS. The majority of beginners dive in rental gear and accumulate their own as they go on.

From info presented here I would say that these guys manipulate facts to push a sell on people with less understanding.

Go and find another school.

Having your own mask, fins, and snorkel (and boots) is a good idea but not essential. Pushing you to buy more than that at this stage is just a way of extracting more cash from you when your knowledge level isn't high enough to distinguish good gear from bad.

BTW I wouldn't take those "industry statistics" too seriously; for one thing are they really saying that if you rent gear from them your experience will be so horrible you might not dive again? What does that say about their rental equipment?

Utter BS, find another dive shop. Only buy personal gear, and rent the rest, until you have 25-50 dives and have read a lot on the internet.

Just because they are trying to sell you gear does not mean you have to buy any. Some shops sell harder than others, take your time and check out other shops and facilities you may find one better. If not, just say no.

Bob

Industry statistics presented by DEMA over the years have stated that, something like, 70% of those who learn to dive quit within the first 3 years. (yes, I am recollecting, if you want to challenge, go download the survey and correct me). I've actually heard numbers as high as 95%.

Along with those numbers, again, if recollection serves me, when interviewed about the reasons people stopped diving, the reasons included things like:
Life Changes (Parent moved in, new baby, etc)
No buddy to dive with
Lack of available funds (See Life Changes, above)

I don't believe having your on equipment is actually on the list, but, activities such as Skiing, Parachuting and Scuba, all share common knowledge that those who buy equipment are more vested and therefore more likely to stay engaged.

So, interpret as you may. The shop is using data to support there marketing scheme, just like every other industry. Not really BS, but certainly not the whole truth. For my part, I recommend mask fins and snorkel. For things like College programs I am involved in, as a minimum, buy your own mouthpiece so that you don't have to put that skanky rental in your mouth.

I talked my sister into taking lessons and her shop gave her the hard sell for buying her own gear (even though I warned her!). She ended up not being a fan, and now hundreds of dollars worth of twice-used gear is sitting on the bottom of her closet.
But yours is actually saying they "count on you" to buy gear from them?
Of course you should rent gear until you know what you're buying -- not what they are TELLING you to buy.
Further more, shops tend to sell one specific brand. Do you know what you want to go with yet? Of course you don't.
I would find another school, or (if you like the instructors or maybe nothing else is near you), just pretend you'll buy gear from them and tell them to F-off if they force the issue at the end.
You're paying for a course right? You have no other obligation to them. WTF is right.

To go a bit further in the other direction, it would be good (for you) if you could borrow mask, fins, booties, and snorkel. Just in case you turn out to be one that hates it, you won't have wasted that $100 to $200 either.

Good Luck.

Masks that don't fit right leak and make the entire process a huge pain, so getting one that fits is important, they are not that pricy. The one that your buddy loves might not work on you. Snorkels are cheap, just get the simple tube, but get one of your own since you are sticking it in your mouth.

Fins and booties are something you can borrow from anyone if they fit. Loose floppy fit or so tight it hurts are not good.

Rent the regulators and wetsuit.

Don't invest in large amounts of money in gear until you know you like it. Then don't be in a hurry to buy the stuff they have hanging on the walls. A lot of the stuff that the average dive store will try to sell students isn't necessarily ideal, and for the same or a little more money you can often do a lot better. They can often even sell it to you, but it isn't the in-stock display gear.

I may do just that if I can find a friend willing or able to spare their stuff for a weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom