Belgian diver missing in France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Форум Тетис • Просмотр темы - Гибель бельгийского дайвера в пещере Font d'Estramar
written by Max Vasilyev (cave diving instructor, rebreather instructor)
There were a couple of logical questions to Kozlov. As a cave to a diver and others who understand this topic, it's really extremely interesting. Just to draw conclusions from this terrible story.

1. What kind of bailout all the time, if allegedly dived at the OC?
2. According to information from the outside, they dived on rebreathers. So OC or rebreathers?
3. If the rebreathers, then what was the certification of Mark for this rebreather?
4. If Mark was so well-known as a cave diver that he ignored the signals of the partner and that in general nonsense - ignored the torn drive, why he was taken to such a dive?
5. If he was an experienced diver, why does he not respond to the signals and the most interesting, ignores the torn drive? Moreover, if we proceed from the text, he already dived at 120m there. And he just took it, ignored everything and everything went down into the abyss?
6. Did Mark even have Full Cave certification, Stage Cave, Cave DPV, Rebreather (xxx) Full cave for diving into this cave?
7. Judging by the plan of the cave there is no need to go down with the scooter, it is so steeply going down that there is no point in the tow. Why go upside down in the mine?
8. Why did the less experienced diver go first? And in such a difficult area?

I hope Denis Kozlov will have time to answer questions that I think appeared not only from me

Speaking from experience I respectfully disagree with your comment / assumption. It is not a 'better decision' when a life is tragicaly lost in a body recovery operation. It is simply tragic! A life lost in a rescue opertaion is a different thing.

Kay Dee, I respectfully can't agree with your comment "it is simply tragic". From your statement, when a fatal accident occurs, if there is any risk in the operations for recovering the body, will you decide to let the body there ? And would you explain this to the family ?

I am simply stating an opinion shared by myself and others, who have been involved in either a body recovery (in my case) or rescue operations, when another life is tragicaly lost in the pursuit of recovering a person already dead.

Of course you're right. But remember we are speaking here of highly qualified people.
And I'm amongst those involved in body recovery and rescue operations.
And I'm amongst those who have lost a friend in the pursuit of recovering a person already dead.
And I'm still doing it.

There is no "better decision" Kay Dee, and when **** happens, there is always somebody to tell you that it shoud have been better to.... I hate this.

They were qualified divers, and if they went to do it, it's because they estimated it was possible and with acceptable risks. That's all I wanted to say.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
Kay Dee, I respectfully can't agree with your comment "it is simply tragic".

Then we shall simply just agree to, respectfuly, disagree then.

The is no "better decision" Kay Dee and when **** happens, there is always somebody to tell you that it shoud have been better to.... I hate this.

T'was not I that first raised the "better decision' term, but go ahead and hate 'this' all you like. Your hate will affect you more than me I am sorry to say.

And as I said, may both the deceased rest in peace, and condolences to the family and friends.

Can any cave diver comment on the following.... what is protocol for cave penetration with a scooter. Seems to me there would be some specific protocol to ensure a scooter going down does not result in a fatality. The vidoes i have watched of cave penetrations seem to always show one of the divers carrying an extra scooter with them. I would seem to make sense as a redundant safety feature. What is taught in formal Cave training ?

Can any cave diver comment on the following.... what is protocol for cave penetration with a scooter. Seems to me there would be some specific protocol to ensure a scooter going down does not result in a fatality. The vidoes i have watched of cave penetrations seem to always show one of the divers carrying an extra scooter with them. I would seem to make sense as a redundant safety feature. What is taught in formal Cave training ?
These were apparently not typical cave DPV deaths, which seem to mostly be "can't swim out without my DPV" deaths, like the one a Ginnie a few years ago. The two DPV deaths were apparently people dragged into the depths by an imploded scooter. It's not supposed to be hard to disconnect your harness from the DPV, but they failed to do so.

Don't understand why and certainly don't have any business speculating on why. They were both highly experienced divers who had the DPV implode on them at over 600 feet depth based on what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom