Belize - Ideas for 2 nights on mainland before and after scuba trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Denver Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling to Belize in February. We will have only two nights before we must take the boat out to either Turneffe or Lighthouse (Thursday and Friday before boat departure on Saturday), and then two nights again when we return (Saturday and Sunday before flight out on Monday). I wish I could have put our non-diving days together to allow for better use of our time on the mainland, but it was not possible with the resorts' boat schedules and our time off work. So we have just a couple nights both before and after the scuba part of our trip to see a bit of the country.

I have a guide book and am pretty good at making our travel plans, but in researching the various dive resorts on this site I have noticed several of you have been to Belize many times, some of you very recently, and I would bet have some good ideas for us. I know jungle lodges are very popular, and staying at one sounds great. Any ideas for a good one that would NOT break the bank would be appreciated.

We are a middle-aged couple in pretty good shape and pretty adventurous.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

I'm new to this and posted this earlier in travel but think it would be better here. Sorry...

So many choices that it's hard to know where to start, lol.

You want to head inland from Belize City.

To the north is the Black Orchid. Not as much jungle as to the west but there are the Lamanai and Altun-Hu Mayan ruins. Might be good for your last two nights since you would be near the airport.

More jungle to the west. I recommend going at least to Belmopan, about an by car hour inland. If you google "jungle lodges Belmopan Belize" you'll see a fairly wide range.

Further to the west, about another hour by car, is San Pedro. Lots of lodges there. Again, google "jungle lodges San Pedro Belize." There will be some overlap with the Belmopan area.

Lots more jungle to the south but not as many lodges.

Probably above your budget, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out two of my favorites: Belcampo in Punta Gorda, which is further south and Chan Chich, which is to the far west on Barry Bowen's property and about as remote as it gets.

You can also fly from/to Belize City to/from the nearest village where you're staying and the lodge will pick you up and drop you off there. Except for Chan Chich, because there is no village but they have their own airstrip thanks to Sir Barry, somewhat ironically. If you decide to drive there, you'll need to make arrangements to get the proper permits as there are some gated checkpoints you have to cross. Kind of a pita, but the long drive through the jungle is unlike any other in the country.

Last edited:
I'd throw in a visit to the Belize Zoo.

I always plan to arrive a day early so we have an extra day to play with in case of weather messing up flights. We stay at the Black Orchid as they conveniently offer pick up/drop off service to the airport, is a nice family run business, and is outside of Belize City. We have stayed there after trips out to the Atolls as well and have done some excursions which they will arrange. One Sunday we did a Mayan ruins trip with a private guide they arranged and it was great! He was a grad student and his knowledge of the ruins and culture was exceptional. On Sunday morning we were the only ones there and it made for a memorable trip. Check out their web site for options and trip advisor reviews if that interest you on either side of your travels.

Thank you so very much for your replies! This was my first ever posting on scubaboard (but definitely not my first time to read many great postings) so I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. After lengthy research I think I have come up with a solid plan that will allow us to see as much as we can in the limited time we have. Fingers crossed the dive trip between the mainland portions is really great! I'll write up a report if it is! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom