Belize in December... Like to hear from anyone with Liveaboard experience in Belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belizian reefs are of a certain character, not a great variation. The best stuff is shallow.

(Take the Blue Hole out of the equation, as I have said before, it's a darned long ride back to any chamber- not worth the risk for most recreational divers)

I have been aboard a few liveaboards in Belize, but I have now stuck with the Nekton. The profiles that I dive, and I freely admit that I am after the abundant and cool little critters that Belize is known for... I am doing 5 and 6 a day... on air. (Yes, I do have nitrox and mixed gas experience)

Compressed air on these profiles? Quite safe, quite doable, quite cheap. Oh yes, and I am cheap!

Wow, thanks for all the information! I'll go ahead and plan to pack a couple of light long pants, as well as a couple of long sleeved light shirts, and a sweatshirt (just in case).

RoatanMan, thanks for the reinforcement that we can dive safely on air on the Nekton cruise. My DH and I tend to prefer to stay more shallow and look for cool critters, rather than go deep just so we can say we did. I've also heard that most of the diving are walls with shallower reefs on top. If that's the case, it will make for some easy diving in that we can head down the wall at a deeper depth, then come up to the top and slowly meander back to the boat at a shallow depth.

RoatanMan, when you've dove off the Nekton boats what does your typical dive profile look like?? Since it's our first liveaboard experience, I'd love to hear how you get 5 dives per day on air.

RoatanMan:
Belizian reefs are of a certain character, not a great variation. The best stuff is shallow.

(Take the Blue Hole out of the equation, as I have said before, it's a darned long ride back to any chamber- not worth the risk for most recreational divers)

I have been aboard a few liveaboards in Belize, but I have now stuck with the Nekton. The profiles that I dive, and I freely admit that I am after the abundant and cool little critters that Belize is known for... I am doing 5 and 6 a day... on air. (Yes, I do have nitrox and mixed gas experience)

Compressed air on these profiles? Quite safe, quite doable, quite cheap. Oh yes, and I am cheap!

Depends what you mean by "shallow" - I think by far the best diving on the barrier reef at San Pedro is in the spur-and-groove formations between around 50' and 120'.

I agree about the Blue Hole, especially now it's so expensive to get there. Most people would be much better off with three wall dives on the south Turneffe trip that happens a couple of times a week, or doing three wall dives on Lighthouse Reef and leaving out the BH. Unfortunately it's well-nigh impossible to find such a trip.

From liveaboards I routinely do between 5 and 7 dives a day for a week, usually with a lighter day in the middle (only 3 or 4 dives). Although I go into deco on at least half of these dives I come up very slowly and conservatively. Haven't had a problem yet.

peterbj7:
Depends what you mean by "shallow" - I think by far the best diving on the barrier reef at San Pedro is in the spur-and-groove formations between around 50' and 120'.
From liveaboards I routinely do between 5 and 7 dives a day for a week, usually with a lighter day in the middle (only 3 or 4 dives). Although I go into deco on at least half of these dives I come up very slowly and conservatively. Haven't had a problem yet.

To answer DiveMe's question, I tag off on Peter's resposne.

Slow and conservatively is the key. If I make 10 feet upwards in one minute- that's a lot. It is an acquired thing. Safety stop? Always, always, always- tie a line to the Nekton's 15 foot hang bar and just veg out. Suck your tank down, be motionless. In Belize, I gaped for 30 minutes at a barrage of Venus Sea Girdles and other pellagic jellies, Walnuts and such. The sun was sinking low in the sky and they were absolutely spectacular flowing by me! (I keep a 4' line and carabiner tied to my BC just for this)

Now that I read Peter's words, I am reminded of two things- yes, I did have a moment's "time out" at depth one day (My own fault- I was staring at a Pipe Fish in 70fsw for 30 minutes...Jeeez- like ya' never seen one before!)(It was my 3rd one:))

(and) The spur and groove was cool. The tops, as I recall were in 35fsw and they dropped precipitously after that. It was towards the end of the week, and we just ghosted from the 35' top of one coral precepice to the next.

We didn't go deep, but here's a story: We found an 18" Dead Parrotfish (here come the Monty Python Jokes!) and carted it over to the bottomless cravasse... and maybe 90 feet below us on the sand lounged a 12' Moray. He was the veritable finny giant sunning himself at 120' !

I dropped the Parrotfish from 35foot much as an early WWI bombardier dropped primitive explosives from aircraft. This dead fish hit everything on the way down as it pinballed its way and dropped right in front of the Moray's head. He looked at it for 1/2 a second and swallowed it whole. He then looked up as if to say, "Got any more?"

The visuals of that dive are spectacular.

Most of our night dives were 1.75 hrs long as compared to the usual divers 45 minutes. The Nekton crew-member who was assigned as "bubble watcher" on the top deck so as to be a look-out for errant divers, jokingly asked if we were making "a shore landing" as we poked very shallow and inland. Most divers spent their 45 minutes at 65 feet just below the boat.

We went to the shallows and found my first Toadfish, Splendid :05: as he was! Then the jet of 200+ "Squidlets", maybe 1" long, and many, many other shallow delights. I am a shallow water dive junkie, I also go very slowly and in waters such as Belize, I will take a magnifying glass and creep along.

I used to solo dive all the time on the Nekton, mostly because "provided" buddies don't have the patience to do my dance. They started putting DM's with me because of a new policy. I turned several of them into shallow water macro junkies.

Watch your computer, and as Peter echoes- be conservative and slow and smart. I will add- skip the alcohol, hydrate, get rest, go easy on the hot tub, be smart. This itinnerary can easily be done on air.

Thanks RoatanMan and Peter, very helpful information. We'll definitely make sure to maximize our safety stops and just hang out watching all the fishies swim by. :wink:

We also knew that by going with air that we may have to sit out an afternoon or morning of diving, so we're prepared for that if need be too.

We did the Peter Huges live aboard in April for our honeymoon and it was AWESOME! The diving was great with lots of variety. You could cruise along the top of coral heads at 20' or between them at ~50' where there was a wall that just dropped down FAR... We saw sooo much life (lobsters, groupers that were 4-5' long, moreys, turtles etc.) My favorite part of the whole thing was the night dives though. I sat out a few of the last day dives so I could stay underlonger on the night dives. I hadn't really enjoyed other night dives I'd done, but something about these dives was incredible. we usually stayed shallow and were soon joined by 2 -6 Tarpons the same size as me (5'6") Their shiny scales would flash in the light from boat and our lights and they would just follow us around as we looked for eels and lobsters. It was the most relaxing diving we'd done and just incredible.

Couple of notes on the clothing. I get cold easily, but even more easily when I'm diving 4 -5 dives a day. By the night dive I wore a 5mm hood and a 3mm full wet suit. I was also very glad to have a warm fleece for dinner and long pants. They tend to keep the boats cold (I think it combats mold.) So if you tend to get cold do bring a warm layer for the evenings. (Linen would not have cut it for me...)

have a great time, the diving is incredible!

A cold boat reminds me - if you have a camera don't keep it in an a/c room.

Reading RoatanMan's post - a night dive of 1.75 hours is incredible! A good advertisement for a liveaboard - you couldn't do this from any "day" boat. But how on earth do you keep warm?

And I love the bombing story.

kayakingkate:
Couple of notes on the clothing. I get cold easily, but even more easily when I'm diving 4 -5 dives a day. By the night dive I wore a 5mm hood and a 3mm full wet suit. I was also very glad to have a warm fleece for dinner and long pants. They tend to keep the boats cold (I think it combats mold.) So if you tend to get cold do bring a warm layer for the evenings. (Linen would not have cut it for me...)

have a great time, the diving is incredible!

Thanks for the information! Although I don't get cold easily, I'm taking my 5mm instead of 3mm full to dive in since I got cold while diving repetitively in August. I've never heard that Nekton keeps their boats cold (RoatanMan??), but at your recommendation, I think I'll throw an extra sweatshirt in my bag just in case. :D

peterbj7:
But how on earth do you keep warm?
And I love the bombing story.

I went non-D.I.R. when I crossed 225#.

That was some time ago.

Porky people (with good circulation) stay warm pretty easy. Mostly in Belize to Roatan I wear a Polarfleece, sometimes (rarely) a 3 mil.

The real trick? A www.Terrapinwetsuits.com neoprene beanie. Keep your head warm, your body stays warm.

Good tip on the A/C boat interiors fogging your cameras. Better liveaboards have exterior storage spaces for u/w camera gear. Keeps it from rattling around at night while you're in the A/C.

Are you recommending a hood for Belize in December? It's fine if you are. We have hoods. Neither of us like to wear them but then my wife tends to chill more than I do.

Peterpj7 was putting the water temp at 77 or above. I suppose it couldn't hurt to take the hoods.

RoatanMan:
I went non-D.I.R. when I crossed 225#.

That was some time ago.

Porky people (with good circulation) stay warm pretty easy. Mostly in Belize to Roatan I wear a Polarfleece, sometimes (rarely) a 3 mil.

The real trick? A www.Terrapinwetsuits.com neoprene beanie. Keep your head warm, your body stays warm.

Good tip on the A/C boat interiors fogging your cameras. Better liveaboards have exterior storage spaces for u/w camera gear. Keeps it from rattling around at night while you're in the A/C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom