Belize in December... Like to hear from anyone with Liveaboard experience in Belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
Are you recommending a hood for Belize in December? It's fine if you are. We have hoods. Neither of us like to wear them but then my wife tends to chill more than I do.

Peterpj7 was putting the water temp at 77 or above. I suppose it couldn't hurt to take the hoods.

I am recommending you consider the weight vs. benneft analysis. Should you schlepp a hood along? It weighs nothing but does oh-so-much! Remember also, I said beanie. There is a large difference!

I have found the water temps a bit higher, more like 82* but then again, Peter lives there!

At present it's 81F. It varies, and 79 is about the lowest I've ever found. A hood is one of the best ways to keep warm, but even in sub-32F water (possible with salt water) I don't like a hood to be more than 2mm. I tried a 5mm once and found it incredibly claustrophobic.

I wish I could stand to wear a beanie or hood....it just makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable and claustraphobic when I dive. Guess I'll just stick with my 5mm full suit and hope it makes up the difference for me. Can't believe we'll be there in just a month!!! :D

Don,

I will also be on the 12/3 Pilot trip. Will be my 2nd Nekton trip - coming back is a strong endorsement from me!

We booked Nitrox on the last trip and there were compressor problems so we ended up diving air. Absolutely not a problem with the profiles we did - I normally did 5 dives a day including a night dive. Also a lot less hassle on the dive deck since there is no checking of Nitrox mix, signing papers, etc.

I'm making this trip solo and will be looking for buddies.

ocpaul:
Don,

I will also be on the 12/3 Pilot trip. Will be my 2nd Nekton trip - coming back is a strong endorsement from me!

We booked Nitrox on the last trip and there were compressor problems so we ended up diving air. Absolutely not a problem with the profiles we did - I normally did 5 dives a day including a night dive. Also a lot less hassle on the dive deck since there is no checking of Nitrox mix, signing papers, etc.

I'm making this trip solo and will be looking for buddies.

We did book Nitrox. I'm hoping it'll help me keep up the diving pace. Hassles on the dive deck don't sound good though.

Look for my PM.

Don

I will be on this same Nekton boat starting December 9, and it will be not only my first live aboard, it will be my first first travel abroad! So I have a lot of questions and uncertainty about the travel experience.

We will do the seven-day dive trip, followed by two days exploring the land, maybe rafting, climbing, going on those tunnel rivers, etc. We have done no planning to speak of for our land adventure.

But we are worried a bit about the security of our gear OFF the boat, especially our expensive camera gear. Any suggestions for storage pending our flight out? And all our scuba gear for that matter..... We might end up staying up in the mountains or something, as my buddy is looking at a ecotravel-type resort. What can we do with our gear??

And just shipping the camera gear to begin with ... I usually carry the camera and housing in a big Pelican box, but that would be one checked bag by itself, so I guess I figure something else.

All in all, this sure is exciting! And after seeing those pictures, I guess I better go off to another sub-forum and start researching a strobe for my camera!

Aucilla:
But we are worried a bit about the security of our gear OFF the boat, especially our expensive camera gear. Any suggestions for storage pending our flight out? And all our scuba gear for that matter..... We might end up staying up in the mountains or something, as my buddy is looking at a ecotravel-type resort. What can we do with our gear??
The Nekton guys usually work with one of the local hotels - when I was down there last year it was The Princess. You might check with them and see if you could leave your bags there.
Luke

Back
Top Bottom