Belize in Nov 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forestfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for recommendations on the safest dive companies in Belize. I am not sure if we will be diving north near CC or south, off Dangriga/Placencia.

We will be taking a refresher course here in the US before going, as it has been almost 2 years since our trip to Australia (ProDive Cairns is excellent!).

We are not looking for a live aboard, but rather a good location to base ourselves for the water portion of our trip. We have not made more than 20 dives total, so safety is our main concern. I'd also like to know if we would be able to rent a camera for the dives.

If you're undecided where to go, I strongly recommend you to consider Thatch Caye. A private island off Dangriga, with its own highly competent dive center and situated right in some of the best diving you can hope to find (Southwater Caye). Small, flexible and totally guest-orientated. Look them up, contact them and see what you think.

Two dive centers in Placencia that have good reputations are Seahorse and Avadon, though I don't have first hand experience of either. Seahorse can be a bit shakey on up-front communication but the experience once you get there is first class. As indeed is Avadon, a recent addition.

On Caye Caulker I'd go with Belize Diving Services, though Frenchies also has a good name.

On Ambergris Caye there are so many it's difficult to recommend any, and I'd need to know where you'd be staying.

to get to Thatch we would fly into Belize City, then fly on to Dangriga (45minutes?), and be picked up there. That's fine.

Would we have time to travel to Cayo (San Ignacio)? How long would it take to travel the Hummingbird Highway? Should we take a bus or rent a car?

What we are hoping to do is dive a couple of days when we first arrive, then do the land-based tours.

Is it worth going all the way to San Ignacio, or are there ruins worth seeing around Dangriga?

We will arrive on a Saturday and leave the following Saturday.

I hate it when I write a reply and it all vanishes when I hit [Return]!

TCR run inland trips (to Cayo etc) in their own minivans and you needn't worry about transport.

No ruins around Dangriga, but SI is only around an hour away.

In Placencia, go with Avadon Divers!! Great Equipment and comfortable boat!

Thatch caye rocks! VERY accommodating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom