Belize to San Pedro would appreciate any input!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
so I am headed to Amergris Caye and the resort has made it sound like the trip by water taxi is a fate worse than death, They are an agent for the airlines so I assume they get a little something if I fly everyone

one of my boys HATES small planes and I save 700 by going via taxi

Can anyone tell me any information on the water taxi vs the ferry or any way via water?

The resort has pissed me off so much that I would cancel everything but that would disappoint family and I am on my way

Thanks in advance

The water taxi is perfectly fine. Space is tight, you are packed into seats where there is no room to walk around and only room for small carry-on. There are no restrooms so go before you board. It's comfy enough if you can sit still for 90 minutes or less. No more cramped than a small plane will be. You can see a few typical pics here. Water Jets International - Belize/Chetumal Water Taxi

Don't get me wrong, I've taken both the water taxi and the puddle jumper, and the plane is faster, easier, and more enjoyable (better views). But it's also about $60/person each way more, money that I usually prefer to spend on dinners and diving.

We took the boat...easy peeesy..with one stop prior to SP....lady sitting next to my wife had a box of live chicks...we flew back...I sat at the controls :wink:

We leave the the 28th for our first trip to Belize and AC, please post a report when you return. We just booked the puddle jumper because my wife and long boat rides done necessarily get along. She turns three shades of green on the ferry from Playa to Cozumel.

Jay

We flew to SP the 1st couple of trips there but soon learned that it is much, much cheaper to take the ferry to either SP or Caye Caulker. If you fly, be careful that your bags are not over the 50 lb./person limit, otherwise they may be sent on a later flight. Depends of the number of people on the flight. (Tropic Air Belize – The airline of Belize). We now always ferry over. Belize Water Taxi | Book Now - San Pedro Water Taxi has gone up to $18/1 way to Caye Caulker (we're going in 10 days). There actually are 2 ferries, the Belize Water Taxi & the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. BWT is the larger of the 2 and more dependable. You'll get a more local experience :wink: than you will by flying. BWT's docks are on the end of the peninsula on the river in Belize City. If you're lucky enough to get the more modern ferry and sit topside, even better. CCWT (website is down, but Facebook is Caye Caulker Water Taxi) is up the river a short ways by the bridge. BWT now has a turnkey service picking you up at BZE taking to the ferry dock and golf cart taxi to your room in either CC or SP. If you're going with a group of 3 or more it's worth it, if not, grab a taxi (~$20) outside BZE, hang on and zip to the ferry docks. There will be lots of golf cart taxis (~$3-5) waiting at either place you end up. BZE - Caye Caulker ~1 hr, BZE - San Pedro ~1 1/2 hr. with a stop at Caye Caulker usually. All this can vary somewhat, you are in Belize now!

No way it's $700 more unless the hotel is trying to arrange it to scam you. Or if there's a good number in the group, which wasn't mentioned. It's about $75 each way on Tropic air. On the other hand if someone has a problem with a short ride on a small prop plane..well then it's a problem.

Last edited:
No way it's $700 more unless the hotel is trying to arrange it to scam you. Or if there's a good number in the group, which wasn't mentioned. It's about $75 each way on Tropic air. On the other hand if someone has a problem with a short ride on a small prop plane..well then it's a problem.

Tropicair currently shows $89.75 each way. So about $180 RT. He mentioned family and "one of my boys" so probably at least 4 passengers. That's $720. Of course, there's land/water taxi expense so maybe $600 more. Unless there are 5 or 6 in the group. $700 more, $600 more, or just $500 more. I think the point is that it is significantly more expensive to fly, especially for a family.

I took the Ocean Ferry - it was inexpensive, and fine. Note that the Ocean Ferry and Water Taxi are two different outfits - but essentially the same experience.

Slightly off subject but air fare goes up every year and is fast approaching the point where it will be cheaper just to drive to Placencia rather than fly. Especially if two or more are in the party.

Right now Maya has a range of fares that start cheaper but end more expensive than Tropic's single fare. But I don't trust them to not bump me if the plane is full of higher paying customers, so I booked my upcoming flight on Tropic.

I wish I could take a water taxi to Placencia. That would be really interesting, at least the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom