Belize Tragedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odd rulings. Ive never had any issue with VHF marine handhelds anywhere in europe or the USA provided the international certificate was produced.

miketsp:
I have to disagree.
Having tried to import VHF radios into many countries while running projects there can be quite a bit of bureacracy associated with this activity.
Many countries require you to have a local license issued by the Telecommunications Authority of that country so quite often they will be confiscated by customs if found.

Normally special rules apply to ships, boats & aircraft visiting temporarily.

Extract from the Belize telecommunications Act of 2003:
No person or entity shall import, install, sell for use or use any item of
equipment in Belize listed in the Schedule to these Regulations, unless the PUC
grants a permit in respect of that type of equipment.

Any person desirous of importing any equipment shall apply in
writing to the PUC for a permit to import such equipment.

An applicant for a permit to import any equipment shall include
in his application:
(a) a sample of the equipment where requested;
(b) the prescribed fee;
(c) the relevant literature; and
(d) the relevant technical specifications.

The PUC may require a maximum period of six weeks for:
(a) testing the samples of equipment;
(b) the purpose of reviewing the applications; and
(c) the granting of type approval for customer
premises equipment.
The PUC may require a maximum period of three months for the
purpose of reviewing an application, for testing any samples of equipment and
for granting type approval for switches and other high capacity equipment.
(1) The PUC may recognise type approvals granted by other
countries.

“PUC” means the Public Utilities Commission as established under the Public
Utilities Commission Act;

In addition to the import license you will also need a mobile station license to use it. Described in the same document and takes a bit of time to get.

You may be right about other countries. And what you quoted as the Belize law is likely true. But it's not enforced. I walked into a store in Belize City the other day and bought a new marine radio. They gave me a long form to fill out but I really only had to put my name, address and that I was the principle user. They smiled, and said they'd do the rest.

I remember in my OW my instructor was covering dive tables and some how the conversation was expanded when he tried to make a point about keeping track of your nitro absorption. He was very adamant and emotional about this and that is why I remembered it so well.

"When you go diving YOU are the pilot. Your life is YOUR responsibility. DO NOT leave it up to the guide or whomever to keep track of your stuff. It don't matter if it’s the dive tables, equipment, whatever. Believe it or not there are operators out there that do not consider your safety to be as important as you do. What it all comes down to at the end of the day is that this is dangerous and YOU are the best person qualified to save your own life simply by NOT doing something stupid. Be careful, mindful, make calm rational decisions think it through what you are doing before you execute, and ALWAYS err on the side of caution." -- OW Instructor

My sympathy goes out to those involved and I hope I never have to experience this for myself.

Scuba:
Seems like the only ones who disagree with the choice to jump in are those speculating from a distance.
...And the family of the woman who died,...I suspect they might disagree with the choice...

Scuba:
IMHO, this operator is guilty of criminal negligent homicide...
Scuba:
I won't say there was willful intention to hurt or kill the passengers. That's called murder...
:confused:

Hank49:
You may be right about other countries. And what you quoted as the Belize law is likely true. But it's not enforced. I walked into a store in Belize City the other day and bought a new marine radio. They gave me a long form to fill out but I really only had to put my name, address and that I was the principle user. They smiled, and said they'd do the rest.

Not quite the same as you carrying one in. The one you bought was probably imported legally and already went through the type approval process. It's the same in many countries, you can buy them over the counter and whether or not you complete the licensing of your station is up to you, generally controls are lax. The shop owner will do all he can to encourage the sale.
Now as for carrying one in through customs, many countries will confiscate/impound an unlicensed/unapproved transmitter.

I'd look at trying to bring an EPIRB in as more likely to raise an eyebrow than a widely sold handheld.
There are a handful of handheld marine radio vendors with very wide recognition, large base, that tend to have certs in many locales.
No telling what would happen in a given country, though a smile and innocent look does wonders :)

From my few experiences in Belize and Roatan, the laws are enforced only when deemed necessary. Otherwise, why bother...?
miketsp:
Not quite the same as you carrying one in. The one you bought was probably imported legally and already went through the type approval process. It's the same in many countries, you can buy them over the counter and whether or not you complete the licensing of your station is up to you, generally controls are lax. The shop owner will do all he can to encourage the sale.
Now as for carrying one in through customs, many countries will confiscate/impound an unlicensed/unapproved transmitter.
I've taken mine to both Roatan and Belize with no problems, but then - I don't guess I have ever seen a customes agent open a divers bag for inspection. :wink:

DandyDon:
From my few experiences in Belize and Roatan, the laws are enforced only when deemed necessary. Otherwise, why bother...?

I've taken mine to both Roatan and Belize with no problems, but then - I don't guess I have ever seen a customes agent open a divers bag for inspection. :wink:

Of course customs procedures tend to be more lax in tourist areas - just by the pure volume. Which of course can cause the inverse problem, of getting out! I once went into Spain through Palma de Majorca carrying a lot of (professional) equipment and the customs guy waved me through and didn't want to stamp anything. Then I got on the survey vessel for the job and got off in Valencia in mainland Spain to then fly out. I missed my flight because it took 24hrs to get the paperwork sorted out because of the missing stamps in Majorca. :wink:

DandyDon:

Belize customs is searching more thoroughly nowadays..even tourists..so I hear. My son had to pay duty coming in as a tourist on a spear gun. And I had to pay on my reg and new mask a week ago. (I'm a permanent resident though) Probably because the government is pretty short of cash and they're trying to rake it in on duties.
But that's why I didn't buy a radio in the US. I wasn't sure about all the permits etc etc. ..Pay more and get one here.
Word around some of the shops here though is that the government is cracking down on the safety issues on all boats. Thorough inspections or the order now. Let's hope so.

Back
Top Bottom