Belize vacation Planning 2 weeks..one week wet, the other dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read,on a anohter board, a post that loosely compared TheTides to the Lions Dive in Curacao. Has anyone here statyed in both that could prodive atheir opinion as to whether these arer similar types of accomodations? We've stayed at the Lions, so we know one side of the equation and that would definaytely help in our decidion making process..

I have stayed at Lions Dive in Curacao but have not stayed at the Tides, but have seen it and know others who have. The rooms are probably not that different, very basic. But Lions Dive has a fantastic large beach with lots of palapas that gives it a real resort feel while I think the Tides doesn't have anything like that.

Be very careful in interpreting what Trip Advisor says - IMO a dreadful site that I rarely read and never take note of. The Tides is not a luxury hotel, it's family run by locals and is a very pleasant and honest place to stay. The owner Patojo is one of the most experienced dive guides in Belize. Staying there is very far from "roughing it". I'll send you a PM.

Sorry to be contrary, but I've used TripAdvisor as well as sites like this and the countrys/regions tourist board sites to successfully plan all the vacations I've taken in the last six years. While I do afford each a certain amount of trust that the reviews etc are accurate, I don't give any single site added weight over another. However, the combined data from those multiple sites usually paints a fairly accurate picture.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Who has used the following site, and how accurte is its info?

Recommended Belize Jungle Resorts and Hotels

It's a marketing site, and as such you can expect it to be biased.

:sigh::sigh:

All websites are marketing something.

Anyway

The sites looks to represent several nice Belize resorts I don't see any bias in the site.

I specifically read the Tides description and it is an accurate depiction of the hotel

If you do what you normally do, and use a combination of sites to research a property I don't think you can go wrong.

Gaz

Last edited:
Hi I was certified many years ago in San Pedro by Turiano and Elbert Greer from Bottom Time. After almost 20 yrs of diving, now realize how good they were as teachers. Is either still around? PS I used to snorkel out to the barrier reef with a milk jug tied on from a hotel called La Jolla , I believe...long gone...just south of the airport and Ramone's. San Pedro was great back then....Brit troops on R&R. Remember an incident at Tackle Box involving golf carts flying into the shark pen.

Not sure about Turiano, but Elbert was at Ramon's Dive Shop for several years and now runs his own. Called "White Sands Dive Center" it's at Las Terrazzas, next to the old Journey's End. I forget the URL but you can easily Google it.

No sharks now at Tackle Box bar.

Hi I was certified many years ago in San Pedro by Turiano and Elbert Greer from Bottom Time. After almost 20 yrs of diving, now realize how good they were as teachers. Is either still around? PS I used to snorkel out to the barrier reef with a milk jug tied on from a hotel called La Jolla , I believe...long gone...just south of the airport and Ramone's. San Pedro was great back then....Brit troops on R&R. Remember an incident at Tackle Box involving golf carts flying into the shark pen.

Elbert site is Dive Shops Belize, San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Scuba Diving Instruction, Classes, PADI

Turiano not sure if he is still diving at Ramons but I am sure Elbert would know.

Gaz Cooper

Folks can we keep this on track please.

So far the I've managed to get Judy and I to Belize (booked flights yesterday) and am leaning toward the week at the Sunbreeze Resort along with a dive package from Amigos Del MAr for the local dives.

We have not decided on trips out to the atolls yet, but Turneffe sounds like a good day excursion. We're probably not doing the Blue Hole as I personally do not do bounce dives, and from what I've read, the blue hole is basically a bounce dive.

I don't visit a dive site simply so I can say "I've done that dive"; thats really not my thing and from what most have said, the Blue Hole is really that type of dive.

Has anyone stayed at the Sunbreeze Resort who can give me the scoop??

Thanks.

Folks can we keep this on track please.

So far the I've managed to get Judy and I to Belize (booked flights yesterday) and am leaning toward the week at the Sunbreeze Resort along with a dive package from Amigos Del MAr for the local dives.

We have not decided on trips out to the atolls yet, but Turneffe sounds like a good day excursion. We're probably not doing the Blue Hole as I personally do not do bounce dives, and from what I've read, the blue hole is basically a bounce dive.

I don't visit a dive site simply so I can say "I've done that dive"; thats really not my thing and from what most have said, the Blue Hole is really that type of dive.

Has anyone stayed at the Sunbreeze Resort who can give me the scoop??

Thanks.

You cant go wrong with the Sunbreeze its located perfectly on the outskirts of town and easy walking distance to shops bars restaurants etc. Rooms are nice and clean set in a U shaped configuration facing the water although set back from the water.

The manager Julia Edwards has been there for many many years and does an excellent job.

I personally would be very happy at the Sunbreeze both for location and comfort.

Gaz Cooper

Well after reading around a bit, and asking a few other folks from up this way that have visited Ambergris Caye, the final decision has been made. We're booking into the Sunbreeze and taking a package with Amigos del Mar.

We were offered a more economical package from Aqua Dives that would have seen us staying at Banana Beach, but there were just too many outstanding questions and so-so reviews out there that we just didn't feel confident enough to book with them. The reviews I read may indeed not paint the complete picture and the operator may have improved his services, but when booking from 3000 miles away one can only do so much research and In the final analysis; its all based on hearsay..

I know there are folks here who would disagree with some of the reviews that AD has out there, and the operation indeed may have improved, but with a lack of supporting feedback and given the few responses from the operator that I have read I simply will not take unwarranted chances; especially given the amount of money being laid out for this vacation.

To those folks, please do not take my decision as a slight against your opinions, or against AD, your input was greatly appreciated. Perhaps of a rep from AD is following these threads they might want to consider improving upon how they address the feedback they get. The responses to many of the reviews/posts I have read in which the reviewer/poster complained or assigned a low rating were all about blaming the customer or eluding to some vast liable conspiracy. There seemed to be common themes to the negative feedback and if combined show a consistency in the reason for some of the complaints. I also really didn’t like the management’s tone when replying, and could see an undercurrent of “blame the customer”, or “their out to get us”. This did not inspire enough of my confidence to award the booking.

I am not usually the type that feels it necessary to justify my decisions, especially when I’m the one paying out for the services, but given the vitriol on this and other boards surround the subject, I felt it best to do so this time.

Again thank you all for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom