Belize vacation Planning 2 weeks..one week wet, the other dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the day you're going to Lamanai will take all of one day, you might as well go to Belize, rent the car and do it that way, if you can work it out and get to the river launch site on time..do the ruins and then drive up to Cayo the same day.
If you do it by boat from San Pedro (my mother and kids did that back in 2000 and said it was ok) you'll spend one day doing that, back to SP and then the next spent getting to Cayo. You should be able to get up there by noon if you leave early from SP.

I guess I need to find out when the tours leave, and how long the tour is , etc.

I was told it's about a two and a half hour drive from Orange Walk to San Ignacio. so I need to get the timing and logistics down before bookng. HOw long is the river trip and ruin tour?

I too have taken the walking tour from Fort George down to the cathedral and back. Four times in the last 16 months. The first two times I was alone and was a little worried because of all the posts here. I took an inexpensive DSLR, kept it in a small shabby sports bag and tried to be discreet when I took it out to shoot.

The last time was with a group of 8 people, some of whom chose to have DSLR's dangling from their necks and wallets in their back pockets. I'm not saying you won't get robbed, I'm just saying it's no worse that NY Central Park or Time Square during the day. If you are discreet and stay on the main streets, there are way more obvious tourist who will get robbed before you do.

The best time to go is between 9:00 a.m. and noon. Lots of working people, fewer grifters by the cruise terminal.

BTW, the riskiest area near that route is near the cruise terminal. When there are no ships in port, it's deserted and secluded. Cork St is an easy way to avoid it.

I guess I need to find out when the tours leave, and how long the tour is , etc.

I was told it's about a two and a half hour drive from Orange Walk to San Ignacio. so I need to get the timing and logistics down before bookng. HOw long is the river trip and ruin tour?

Rick, since I'm going to Lamanai this Friday, I'll see what I can find out for you and try to post it before I head off to Turneffe if no one else chimes in. No promises as I'm not sure we'll have internet access.

For what it's worth, we're leaving from Belize City. The details have been left up to our guide, but my understanding is we're going to drive about an hour inland almost to Orange Walk, catch a boat and go downriver for about 20 miles. We'll have lunch there and when we've had enough we'll jump back on the boat and head for the car. Total time door to door is supposed to be around seven hours.

Rick, since I'm going to Lamanai this Friday, I'll see what I can find out for you and try to post it before I head off to Turneffe if no one else chimes in. No promises as I'm not sure we'll have internet access.

For what it's worth, we're leaving from Belize City. The details have been left up to our guide, but my understanding is we're going to drive about an hour inland almost to Orange Walk, catch a boat and go downriver for about 20 miles. We'll have lunch there and when we've had enough we'll jump back on the boat and head for the car. Total time door to door is supposed to be around seven hours.

Thanks I appreciate the effort.

The boat ride from the toll bridge (2 miles outside Orange Walk) to Lamanai varies and depends on how much time you have available. It can be a slow guided tour pointing out the abundant flora and fauna along the river (orchids, crocs, birds, monkeys, etc.) or a straight boat ride several minutes long. Your tour at the site will also vary depending on your time. It is a large area and difficult to cover in detail in a day. Make sure you get good pics of the abandoned sugar mill among other interesting features. Seven hours sounds average for a Lamanai Tour from Belize City and don't forget your rain jacket just in case it rains.

Looks like week two is starting to shape up. We've been in contact with several tour guie outfits, as well as a few resorts, and rihgt now the front runners are The Windy Hill resort in San Ignacio, and for the tour operator, PACZ tours.

Windy Hill seems like a nice place with very good reviews, and PACZ has a lot of good reviews as well. Has anyone had any experiences with either of these outfits that they wish to share?

Again thanks for all the help and advice.

BTW..

Here are the ruins/site we have selected...we have three free days available so if there is some else we should see let me know.

ATM Cave
Tikal
Pine Ridge Mountain reserve (waterfall photography)
Xunantunich
Caracol

One last thing,..is there much in the way of shoppng etc in San Pedro. I've rescheduled our off-gas day (last say on the island) from the usual lounging and shopping to the full day Lamanai excursion (it was logistically easier to fit it in our San Pedro schedule than to deal with the added hassles of a renta car and an extra night spent in Orange Walk). Now if there is a lot to see in San Pedro. my wife will probably skin me for this so please let me know if I should be re-think that decision.

Cheers!

Rick

Rick, when you get back please post a trip report on this forum.

Starting next year, we're going to begin venturing further into the jungle doing much the same as you with a week dry week wet, so a description of your experience would be much appreciated.

ATM alone is worth the trip. PACZ is good, you can also check out Mayan Heart World, a new outfit, especially for your Tikal trip. The Windy Hill is good, I've stayed at Kana which was a good experience, Chaa Creek is another good one but the Operators above will be able to supply far better recommendations on inland accommodations. Enjoy your trip.

There isn't much shopping in Belize....unless you want T shirts etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom