Belize vacation Planning 2 weeks..one week wet, the other dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, when you get back please post a trip report on this forum.

Starting next year, we're going to begin venturing further into the jungle doing much the same as you with a week dry week wet, so a description of your experience would be much appreciated.

Will do.

Sorry for the double post, but can someone tell me if the Windy Hill resort has its own guide service and is itany good. we've got a quote for inclusive package from then as well as one for accomodation only (we'd be booking on our own through PACZ) .

The thing is they also are offering a discount on the whole package should we use their guide service...so what I need to know is if they have a good guide service on site or am I better off booking accomodations only and booking the guides through PACZ.

Last edited:
Hi Gaz I'd include the caves up in San Augustine in the Maya Mts as one of the most dramatic and beautiful places in Belize. The falls at Rio Frio get a lot of traffic nowadays. Back in 1988 when we first went, the army still was stationed there at the barracks and exploring the cave was pretty wild since we were the only folks there..Caracol was being excavated by a couple of archealogists ( from Florida?) and it was essentially a mud rut getting in to the place. Big fun! We thought we were way cool until we heard a huge rumble and a Brit half-track on manuevers shattered the jungle silence heading in the other direction. What a hoot!

Well it's booked.

Took a few weeks of back and forth but the whole booking exercise is now down to sending out one deposit.

Here's the itinerary for those who may be interested.

Flying down with Delta, arrive 1330h Belize City

The Surf
---------

Mayan Island for all transfers to A/C
Seven Nights at Sunbreez including a breakfast plan
4 day - 2 tank dives and one night dive (all local) (Atols will be negotiated once we get there) with Amigos Del Mar.
1 Day trip to Lamanai on our last decomp day.
:cool2:

The Turf
---------
Pick up at Belize Airport. door to door service to hotel in San Ignacio
Eight nights Windy Hill resort, including all meals, all tours, and an overnighter to Tikal
Tours selected;
Caracol
Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve
Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave
Xunantunich
Tikal (overnighter)

return transfer to Belize International...fly back to Canada on Delta :(
We have two free days for added local trips or horseback riding, etc.
Now we just have to pay for it all....:depressed::shocked2::confused:

Well it's booked.

Took a few weeks of back and forth but the whole booking exercise is now down to sending out one deposit.

Here's the itinerary for those who may be interested.

Flying down with Delta, arrive 1330h Belize City

The Surf
---------

Mayan Island for all transfers to A/C
Seven Nights at Sunbreez including a breakfast plan
4 day - 2 tank dives and one night dive (all local) (Atols will be negotiated once we get there) with Amigos Del Mar.
1 Day trip to Lamanai on our last decomp day.

The Turf
---------
Pick up at Belize Airport. door to door service to hotel in San Ignacio
Eight nights Windy Hill resort, including all meals, all tours, and an overnighter to Tikal
Tours selected;
Caracol
Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve
Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave
Xunantunich
Tikal (overnighter)

return transfer to Belize International...fly back to Canada on Delta :(
We have two free days for added local trips or horseback riding, etc.
Now we just have to pay for it all....:depressed::shocked2::confused:

Sounds like you got it covered should be a great trip

Gaz

First off my thanks for your help, advice.

About Us

My wife and I both dive, have advanced certifications, and 50 + dive under out belts (not a lot, but we're not exactly rookies either) in both the cold murky waters here in Ontario and warm clear blue waters of Cuba, and Curacao.

We are not huge fans of drift diving, at least not the type where you drop down, scoot along and watch the wall go by. I like UW photography and that requires that I be able hold my position long enough to get my shot, without blowing a tank fighting strong drift current.

We dive our own gear (even on fly out trips) so we don't want package deals that inflate prices to include gear (other than rental lead and tanks) and we prefer to dive nitrox. We usually prefer doing our own thing via shore diving, if it's decent and available, (think Bonaire/Curacao), but have no issues doing charters. We'd like to get a realistic chance at seeing big stuff, but also understand that there are never any guarantees in that respect.

We're safe divers and respect all environments. We dive with a strict no-impact mentality, dive well balanced rigs and practice good buoyancy control at all times. Here's the kicker we dive with gloves NO EXCEPTIONS. I am insect toxin sensitive (multiple stings and I'm diving for a epi pen), and I have not given marine toxins the chance to see how they get to me, and hope never to do so. My wife is..ummmm thermally challenged. The poor girl gets cold in 90 degree water after two dives. Hence her gloves. We are more than willing to do check out dives so the operators can see for themselves that we pose no threat to reef or wreck. (BTW we LOVES wrecks; it’s all we got up here - dark murky water and century old wooden wrecks).

As to the type of travelers we are, we prefer the local scene and culture. We're not the AI plant your butt on the beach and swill booze until the staff comes by and pours you into your room types; not that there anything wrong with that. It’s just not our style. We like to get out and meet the local folks, see the country's history, and landscape and breathe its culture.

Now the reason for the pre-amble is so folks, who know the area, know a bit about us and what we have to deal with. I find it makes it easier for folks to help us if they know more about what we're about and how we travel.

About the trip

We're looking at doing two weeks in Belize (December 2010) and would like to split the trip, one week of diving, and beach side stuff (week one) the other touring the interior (week two).

Most of what I've read seems to point toward Placencia or Ambergris Caye as to two most popular spots, but my research is just starting so what do I know, right? Some of the sites I've read mention some of the hotel/resorts offer up split vacations between the mainland and the cayes.

My questions about these are,

1. Who they are?
2. Where are they?
3. Are they the same outfit or just two outfits working together?
4. Are they even necessary or is it possible to book these independently and still get the trip coordinated with as little hassle as possible?
5. Who are the better (reputation) dive ops and ground tour ops?
6. What are the "must sees" on land, and in water?
7. Where can I find decent (4 - 5 rating) accommodations for the "sea" portion of the trip and the last two nights of the land portion. The rest of the land portion can be as good as 4 star in the cities or a tent and sleeping bag while on excursion.
8. What and where are the better places to eat, have the occasional drink and experience the local night life and culture?
9. Wwhat are the pre-trip requirements (visa, inoculations, etc.) that we should be aware of.
10. Is the time frame were are looking at a good time to even travel there?
11. Should we use public transportation or rent a vehicle?

Security is of concern for us. While we are well travelled, and know how to avoid problems, we have some security concerns.

The first is our gear, both dive and personal. If at all possible we would like to be able to store the dive gear in a secured place for week two. I don't see much use in hauling around BP/Wing, wetsuits, fins etc if we're rainforest trekking.

The second of course is our person and personal items. We would prefer our accommodations to have an in room safe, or at the minimum, a hotel safe where some items could be secured. (Travel papers, copies of passport, visa ,if necessary, laptop, and photography gear)

I realize this is a lot to ask, so please feel free to take little bites at it. I'll piece the whole thing together later.

If I’ve let out anything, feel free to suggest away.

Agan, thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. feel free to suggest books, weblinks, etc if you feel they would help me in planning this trip. I donlt mind doing my own leg work either.
I had a great time staying for two weeks at Blackbird Caye and a horrible time at Bananas Beach Resort Ambergris Caye with Amigos Del Mar diving. The Ambergris Reef is in bad shape. Take it from a fellow Ontarian (Sarnia), it's worth the extra money for the valet diving of Blackbird Caye and they may still include the Blue Hole in the cost of the stay. Otherwise you'll pay $250.00.

I had a great time staying for two weeks at Blackbird Caye and a horrible time at Bananas Beach Resort Ambergris Caye with Amigos Del Mar diving. The Ambergris Reef is in bad shape. Take it from a fellow Ontarian (Sarnia), it's worth the extra money for the valet diving of Blackbird Caye and they may still include the Blue Hole in the cost of the stay. Otherwise you'll pay $250.00.

Thanks for the input, but as mentioned, the trip is now booked (although if I don't start getting some direct contact from the dive shop, they MAY find themselves out a grand or so, as I have no patience for games, and slow responders and it certaionly doesn't look good when their web site is off-line for more than a week without even a simply "technical difficulties will be back....splash page.

I realize that some folks are cautious about giving out reviews in public forum, especially when the review is less than stellar, so I will not ask you to elaborate in the thread about your experieinces with Amigos. but rather if you feel up to it, could you PM me with the details about your "horrible" time with Amigos.

My concerns are starting to mount, and I DO have time to change up that part of the trip.

Last edited:
I just spoke to Amigos, and they tell me the website has been working properly (though it's down at this moment for maintenance) and that there are no problems with email. They say they'll look at this thread and follow up.

I just spoke to Amigos, and they tell me the website has been working properly (though it's down at this moment for maintenance) and that there are no problems with email. They say they'll look at this thread and follow up.

Thank you for taking the time to check on this. As far as the site working properly, it appears to be at this moment, but this is the first time I've been able to access it in over a week.

Anyway, I'm sure they're working the issues on their end.

Thanks again Peter.

Much apprecatiated.

Rick

One thought on email - if you don't get replies when you're pretty sure the email got through, try sending from a different address/domain. Sometimes domains can get blocked and emails fail without the sender being told. It seems to be particularly a problem with Belize, and with any email domain associated with Belize (I'm not sure what Amigos' address is).

Back
Top Bottom