Belt Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Tobin,

Got to dive my new rig last week. I need to make some adjustments to the hog harness but other than that it was a wonderful dive. I had absolute control over my buoyancy and really loved the minimal effort I needed to maintain positions.

The only question I really have right now is the belt buckle. the photos and instructions I have seen show the belt buckle on the right side attached to the right strap. The buckle is right hand release and the strap from the left comes around your waist and through the crotch strap.

My weight belt if also right hand release. Why not turn the buckle around and have it a left and release? Should the weight belt and the harness belt should be both right hand release? If so, why?

This photo illustrates what I am asking about.

http://dir-diver.com/pics/backplate/overview2_large.jpg

Thanks!

Jeremy

The best approach is to change your weightbelt buckle, then you can't confuse them and you overcome a major danger. See: Thread

Hi Tobin,

Got to dive my new rig last week. I need to make some adjustments to the hog harness but other than that it was a wonderful dive. I had absolute control over my buoyancy and really loved the minimal effort I needed to maintain positions.

The only question I really have right now is the belt buckle. the photos and instructions I have seen show the belt buckle on the right side attached to the right strap. The buckle is right hand release and the strap from the left comes around your waist and through the crotch strap.

My weight belt if also right hand release. Why not turn the buckle around and have it a left and release? Should the weight belt and the harness belt should be both right hand release? If so, why?

This photo illustrates what I am asking about.

http://dir-diver.com/pics/backplate/overview2_large.jpg

Thanks!

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I'm pleased you like the new gear.

The photo you linked to shows only the harness waist belt buckle, and the diver in the picture has it positioned waay to the far right, but the buckle is definitely laced on to the LEFT waist strap.

Some diver do this so they can use the harness waist belt buckle to also keep their canister light canister back up against the back plate.

I prefer to have my waist belt buckle just to the right of center, i.e. just though the crotch strap loop. I use a second buckle that slides on to the right hand waist strap, to keep the canister against the plate. This allow s me to open my waist strap in the water without loosing the canister. For this "canister keeper" I use a plastic buckle.

A couple points about weight belt buckles and harness buckles;

At first you may confuse the two, but you will soon learn the difference

If you wear your weight belt under your harness the weight belt will get hung up on the crotch strap. I view this as a good thing, reduces inadvertent loss of ballast.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom