Bend or Flare Bottom Corners of BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NaCl H2O

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody bent out the corners of their BP?
After long dives I can feel the corners and notice some plates are designed with a flare of sorts.

I have an unmarked SS plate (looks like a HOG) and there is not a lot of area to flare, it is worth it to try?
Anybody notice a difference? Also, the finish on the plate looks like a bead blast maybe. How would I do this without messing it up?

Wind is blowing and it's jellyfish season, idle minds......Thanks for your thoughts

20191030_082546.jpg

Salt water, you are correct. Plates with flared edges are indeed more comfortable. It costs more to manufacture with bends like that, so you only get the feature on some. Here are two of my plates. They're "freedom plates". Both made by @Eric Sedletzky . Not cheap, but worth every penny imo.

freedom plates.jpg

If your plate has some kind of coating, it might crack off when you bend it. If not, then I'd say gofer it. You might need to polish it back up around the bend. If it were me, I'd try sticking the corner you want bent into a vice, then beat on it with a deadblow hammer or rubber mallet.

I think one of my other plates has simple bent edges like you're talking about. I'll have to go look through my dive closet.

Edit: I believe it's my Apeks aluminum plate that has flared corners like you mean.

Yeah, yeah, I sometimes turn green with envy for the Freedom plates but my wing is not compatible :facepalm:
Maybe one day, but house rules put a cap on more dive/fish/boat gear. And yes, I'm hiding some stuff....

Thinking about the vice, was hoping for some tribal knowledge before I go wild. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom