Beneath the Waves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I could hardly believe I was actually gearing up for a dive beneath the waves of the beautiful Caribbean. I had dove in these waters before, a resort pool course and shallow dive was what had initiated my interest in Scuba Diving and the desire to attain Open Water Certification. This dive was going to be my first open water checkout and I was slightly apprehensive yet eager to test my own skills and comfort level in the warm open waters.

Having donned my brand new 3mm wetsuit rather ungracefully and with some assistance to pull the neoprene up past my nether regions, I assembled my equipment and checked all the functions and gauges as I had been taught. The Instructor carried me graciously out to the boat, and no I did not pay extra for this but was considerate enough not to put my weight belt and bc on prior. The boat was small and the bench seating low enough that my gear was in easy reach. On the way to the dive site I was once again grateful for the assistance to put on my weight belt and bc. Good grief, the resort tanks were 12l steel and to this middle aged mom of short stature, that is a lot of tank! Completely immobilized I feared a boat motion that would topple me over onto the poor fellow beside me or on to the floor of the boat. Not sure I wanted to entertain the crew with a flipped turtle impression.

Looking across the turquoise and blue waters I am pondering the logistics of getting this now, weight encumbered, body up to the side edge of the boat. No problem, the helper lifts me by the bc straps on to the edge of the boat and I make a rear entry, remembering to tuck in my chin and move away from the boat.
After exchanging okay signs and taking a visual into the waters and coral reef below, we begin our descent. Performing the required tasks I felt grateful for the weeks of theory and practical pool practice provided to me by the ACUC instructors.

The world beneath the waves is the most incredible environment and I was mindful that I be an unobtrusive guest. Attaining neutral buoyancy and keeping my hands linked together I was amazed at the ease in which I was able to move through the warm waters. Slight movement from the hips allowed me to glide almost effortlessly. Using my lungs I was able to make small changes to my depth in order to keep from bumping any of the fragile coral. I felt pleased that the green moray eel that peeked out from its crevice decided I was no threat and allowed me to pass peacefully and respectfully.

Time seems to pass so quickly here beneath the waves and all too soon it was time for ascent. Careful to monitor my speed, buoyancy control and depth I found the safety stop a wonderful time to revel in the serenity and view of the wonderful world below me.

The boat awaited us at the surface and I carefully removed my weightbelt and bc and they were taken and stowed for me. With the instructor pushing up on my bottom half and the assistant grasping my upper arms I made a rather clumsy but effective landing on to the boat bench. Back at the resort dive shop all of the equipment was washed and checked over and my personal gear carefully packed into my mesh carry bag.

As I looked back out to the water I am reminded of the reasons I am taking the Open Water Certification Course.

I want to be safe beneath the waves, safe for myself, safe for my dive buddies and safe for the environment I am visiting.
I want to experience the world beneath the waves, the beauty, the serenity, the freedom of movement and lack of barriers .

I find myself blinking away tears of elation as I fasten my lap belt, flip the switch to engage the motors of my power wheelchair and head off to complete the notes in my dive log.

GO GIRL!

Sounds like you’ve already come a long way toward mastering neutral buoyancy, a skill that challenges most divers with many more dives than you. Bravo!

Sincere applause to you and your instructors.

And ain’t weightlessness wonderful?

Thank you so much, I have now been diving both cold and warm waters and using club weekly pool time to further practice my skills. Looking forward to more diving, leave for carribean next week!

As a future HSA Instructor, I would like to thank you for the very descriptive enlightening and heart felt story of your experience. It just reenforced why I have chosen to become an HSA Instructor. I don't know who would have shed more tears of joy, you or me!!!

Ocean One:
As a future HSA Instructor

Don't you just hate it when people use acronyms without explanation?

Health Savings Account (US)?
Hach Scanning Analyzer?
Haiku Society of America?
Hammons School of Architecture (Drury University)?
Hand Surgical Associates?
Handbell Society Of Australasia?
Handicapped Scuba Association International?
Harrison Smith Associates Limited?
Hawaii Skatepark Association?
Hazardous Substance Analysis?
Hazardous Substances Act?
Hazardous Substances Authority (UK)?
Head Stack Assembly (hard disk drives)?
Headache Associated with Sexual Activity?
Healing Story Alliance?
Health and Safety Assurance?
Health and Safety Authority (Ireland)?
Health Science Authority (Singapore)?
Health Sciences Authority (Singapore)?
Health Scientist Administrator?
Health Service Agreement?
Health Service Area?
Health Services Administrator/Administration (USAF)?
Health Services Agency?
Healthcare Supplies Association?
Heartland Spiritual Alliance?
Heaven's Sword Army (gaming community)?
Hellenic Students' Association?
Hemispheric Social Alliance?
Herb Society of America?
Hexane-Sulfonic Acid?
Hi Specialty America?
High School Assessment?
High Source Alignment?
High Specific Activity?
High Speed Access (CATV)?
High Speed Amphibian?
High Speed Auxiliary?
High System Availability (Cisco)?
High-Speed Analog?
Higher Studies Abroad?
Hinchingbrooke School Association?
Hindu Students Association?
Hip Structural Analysis?
Hispanic Student Association?
History Students Association?
Hoffman Sports Association?
Hollow-Stem Auger?
Holmes Safety Association?
Home and School Association?
Home Savings of America?
Home School Association?
Home Sewing Association?
Home Show America?
Homeland Security Act?
Homeland Security Agency?
Homeschoolers' Support Association?
Honors Scholars Association?
Honors Student Association?
Horizon Science Academy?
Hot Side Aeration?
Hot Solo Action?
Housing Studies Association?
Hudson Society of Artists (Hudson, OH, USA)?
Hueston Sailing Association?
Huguenot Society of America?
Human Serum Albumin?
Human Services Agency (Nevada)?
Hunt Saboteurs Association?
Hunter's Shooting Association?
Hydrographic Sciences Australia?
Hydroponics Society of America?

http://www.hsascuba.com/Weare.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom