Benefit of Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that this really happened but if I was selling nitrox I'd push the fatigue angle. Something so subjective is always going to have believers. Even with all the evidence to the contrary just look at the posts in this thread. The power of suggestion is very strong.

A lie that your customer wants to be true always sells...

(Its the basis of political advertising.)

Nope. Even with a poor sac rate, the equivalent TIME you spent underwater on an equal dive comes with less accumulated nitrogen in your body, this means shorter surface intervals and less risk of DCS. It's not JUST about the (deceptively worded) plug by PADI about longer NDL time. I do agree, however, that the cost of the certification is stupid. They should include it in an OW cert for no extra charge in my opinion.

This means nothing to me. I don't care about less N only too much. SI is for resting in my world. I like a long SI and take an hour min regardless of the need to off gas. I maintain Nitrox was a gross waste of time and money for me.

Just curious... How many nitrox dives do you have Nate?

This is irrelevant, an ad hominem. If I'm spewing nonsense, please do me a favor and point it out.

This means nothing to me. I don't care about less N only too much. SI is for resting in my world. I like a long SI and take an hour min regardless of the need to off gas. I maintain Nitrox was a gross waste of time and money for me.

Ha, well, then work on your SAC rate and you'll be a better diver for that, and for THEN benefiting from nitrox in a way that matters to you.

This is irrelevant, an ad hominem. If I'm spewing nonsense, please do me a favor and point it out.

If you refer to what you quoted earlier, this is a forum for new divers to ask questions, not a forum for those who are not yet certified to make definitive statements. You may or may not be spewing nonsense, but what you are really doing is regurgitating what you have read, with no experience to back it up. :wink:

Please don't feel like I'm down on you... I always refer to "There's a reason we have two ears but only one mouth... "

Haven't there been several studies indicating that Nitrox is harmful to the walls of blood vessels and interferes withe their flexibility?

If you refer to what you quoted earlier, this is a forum for new divers to ask questions, not a forum for those who are not yet certified to make definitive statements. You may or may not be spewing nonsense, but what you are really doing is regurgitating what you have read, with no experience to back it up. :wink:

Please don't feel like I'm down on you... I always refer to "There's a reason we have two ears but only one mouth... "

This forum does not have an experience requirement for making definitive statements. I have only stated facts, except for one instance where I explicitly qualified a statement with "it seems reasonable". I'm not being defensive, I genuinely would like to be corrected if my facts are actually incorrect.

Why exactly is my experience in question? If my knowledge is wrong, explain. Is it because it seems reasonable to me that using nitrox to reduce nitrogen absorption would result in feeling better due to reduced DCS symptoms? My logic is more nitrogen = more DCS symptoms, therefore less nitrogen = less DCS symptoms. Is that really so far fetched?

Why exactly is my experience in question?

This pretty much says it all...

Go forth and prosper Nate. Please forgive me if I don't seek you out for advice. :wink:

Forgive me if I don't accept advice or opinion on diving whether it be air or ean from someone who is not yet certified to dive either. I'm sure you feel you know everything from your reading, but as is often quoted, "You don't know what you don't know". :wink:

Back
Top Bottom