Bennett Springs-fun cavern dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Bennett the weekend following Thanksgiving with a group of six. The park limits a group to a total of 6, with no more than 4 in the water at any given time. The fishermen are usually very reasonable in their approach. If our experience is anything like yours - you may end up being an attraction that day with many on-lookers.

The parks folks themselves are very cordial and helpful. Access to the water is pretty easy with parking just 40-50 feet away from the spring pool.

If it hasn't rained, visibility is very good (no silt probs as others have said). On a clear, sunny day you will have no problem keeping the dive in the cavern category. Even at depth on those days the daylight opening is easily discernable.

The flow volume of the spring has been less than normal over the past 6-8 months according to the parks official. The current flow at the 'bottom/80 feet' where the large occlusion takes place is strong and unless you get above the flow or are an extremely strong swimmer you won't make it to the rock shelf or attached rope there.

The current through most of the spring was not strong enough to require us to follow the drop line throughout the dive. We were able to freely explore the cavern throughout.

The 'popcorn room' at 80 feet pretty much gives you a look at everything available to see in the structure itself. The chert rock will sometimes boil up from the force of the water and look like popcorn. Along the sides you can find fairly good sized crawdads, the larger trout are definitely in the hole.

When ascending - go slow and look closely along the bottom - there are often small little treasures to be found. As you get near the opening - I recommend keeping yourself up off the bottom to avoid getting snagged or poked by a lost lure and other sharp fishing stuff.

It's definitely a worthwhile dive, and one I will definitely do again, but probably not this year.

nagel:
Is there people fishing this time of year? I thought trout season didn't start until March 1 and expected that nobody would be fishing until then. Several posts alluded to fishermen being there.

There were fishermen Saturday. I think it is catch and release this time of year.

The real question is....do the trout like CHEESEWHIZ?? :D

Can you be moore specific on the size of the spring opening. What is the heigt and width of spring. And does it change much from the top to bottom? Do you need a light on this dive?

There will be 3 of use doing the spring Sunday Feb 11th. If anyone else would like to join us that would be fine.
When I talked to them today they mentioned that the spring is flooding right now and the vis is way down. So if conditions do not improve we will cancel

Back
Top Bottom