Bent in Belize--Blue Hole Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who knew you could have a number for a username?!?

Or a PPO2.

Quite possibly. You can't judge your own sanity. "Self, this seems perfectly reasonable." "I agree!" I've been seeing a counselor on my own to sort that out, but the accident did short-circuit years of therapy. The trip was planned before the breakup, but odds are I wouldn't have had anything to drink if we were still together.

My echocardiogram is on the 25th, I'll let you know what, if anything, they find. (I've been waiting for that since January)

Thanks for sharing and we do look forward to the update.

it is my understanding that DAN only covers what your own insurance does not cover.
I have switched over to Dive Assure who is a primary carrier for dive insurance.
i hope never to use it but it is comforting to know i have it.
If you are going to do deco diving check with your insurance carrier first

I can't believe the utter recklessness on the part of the so-called dive master. That individual should be kicked out of the business.

That aside, you write with humour...enjoyed the tale. No point criticizing you. You've figured it out, I'm sure. Hope you get well soon.

Can you explain that comment? I'm not criticising, I just don't know what "dive master" you're referring to. And I can't possibly look back through 30 pages!

---------- Post Merged at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:18 PM ----------

it is my understanding that DAN only covers what your own insurance does not cover.
I have switched over to Dive Assure who is a primary carrier for dive insurance.
i hope never to use it but it is comforting to know i have it.
If you are going to do deco diving check with your insurance carrier first

All insurance is capped by whatever other insurance you may have for the same risk. It's a fundamental principle of insurance. That said, my DAN Europe insurance is by far the most comprehensive cover I've ever come across. In particular, it makes no specific exclusions based on depth or qualification of the insured person. Unlike the PADI cover for example, which I believe runs out when you pass recreational depths.

Can you explain that comment? I'm not criticising, I just don't know what "dive master" you're referring to. And I can't possibly look back through 30 pages!

I think she's referring to the Divemaster discussed in the original post. The one that took a group of inexperienced divers to at least 152 feet on a deco dive. I was shocked when I read that part as well.

I think she's referring to the Divemaster discussed in the original post. The one that took a group of inexperienced divers to at least 152 feet on a deco dive. I was shocked when I read that part as well.

Yep. That's the one.

That's the bit I have the biggest problem believing. I know it happened as I had a long conversation with the OP before he left Belize, but in all the many dives I've done accompanying recreational divers down the Blue Hole (as one of them, NOT leading them in any way) I have never seen a DM go so deep. I can't say for sure what the deepest I've seen a DM go to is, but it was certainly above the shelf and that's at c.150ft. Without question it was an improper thing to do. But please be assured that the OP really drew the short straw, as this isn't customary. Most DMs stop at c.130 ft and only go deeper if they have to to pull back a diver who's gone too deep. I myself have gone below the shelf, but well away from the wall so I'm not visible to the divers (so as not to encourage them to follow), and only so I'm well positioned to go after anyone who loses control. I agree that DM should find another occupation. I know he wasn't qualified to go to that depth even by himself - I don't know who he was, but there aren't ANY people here qualified to dive to those depths, except myself in San Pedro and a couple of people on Caye Caulker. And even then we have to be properly equipped.

Well, DBDuke, that's quite the first post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom